Tranny comparisons for frame mounted motors

I have well over 500 miles on this set up now & it is by far the best of any that I have tryed. The gears are very quiet & mounting is solid as a rock. I did a very similar set up on a Whizzer & this bike is easier to start & shifts a lot smoother. It's reliable too. The last 10 times out there were no mechanical adjustments needed at all. I want to do this same set up with a 4 stroke Honda or Robin/Subaru.
View attachment 12162

View attachment 12164

Zomby...must have missed that build. What arethe particulars? engine, GB etc. Niice.

well i wasn't looking for any gear reduction. i want a small sprocket that engaes and disengages directly off the engine so i can use the bikes shifters to change gear ratios. i want to be able to take advantage of the full power band. kind of like the first one you pictured ont the thread because my engine doesn't come with one. or maybe something like this http://www.overstockdistributing.com/product.php?productid=39

i can find clutch bells that seem like they would fit but when i ask the manufacture, they say they won't fit my robins engine. i could just be totally missing something. also, the mod that you did where you switch gears using the bicycles existing gears is what i want. where did you find the info to do that? i think i can figure it out but some help would be great! great looking engine mount, by the way.

5 to 1 tranny down to a freewheel crank using an 11t drive down to a 54t large chain ring final drive 22t 1/2 inch bike chain . shift gears on the rear hub of the bike, no clutching . is that what you had in mind? sick bike parts has a freewheel crank you could use also.

well i wasn't looking for any gear reduction. i want a small sprocket that engaes and disengages directly off the engine so i can use the bikes shifters to change gear ratios. i want to be able to take advantage of the full power band. kind of like the first one you pictured ont the thread because my engine doesn't come with one. or maybe something like this http://www.overstockdistributing.com/product.php?productid=39

i can find clutch bells that seem like they would fit but when i ask the manufacture, they say they won't fit my robins engine. i could just be totally missing something. also, the mod that you did where you switch gears using the bicycles existing gears is what i want. where did you find the info to do that? i think i can figure it out but some help would be great! great looking engine mount, by the way.

The clutch setup you linked to wont work directly linked to your gears.
The easiest most reliable way is to follow the scooterguys advise.
You need about 10 to 1 reduction to use the derailuer or a rear sprocket setup

The 5 to 1 transmission plus the ten or eleven tooth sprocket driving the 48 to 56 tooth front chain ring.
This gives you the needed reduction .
The front 48 to 56 tooth chainring is mechanically connected to a 22 to 24 tooth sprocket which drives the cassette.

1 to 1

there is a 1 to 1 tranny no reduction . but the tooth size is a #25 very small teath you could use that it has no reduction , it comes with 6 teath . you could use one of the larger size #25 large chain ring on your freewheel crank the robins would use it but any motor with power would rip that chain appart.
soory about the poor gramer and spelling , its early

you guys rock, thanks!! i found the 5 to 1 reduction at thatsdax. in theory, i'd like to use the rear gears to shift and still be able to peddle. prob use a choice of 2 really low gears for peddling so i could use that for power all the way through acceleration . now i have to figure out how to use the rear derailer to shift the engine drive and still be able to peddle. any advice? and thescooterguy, is there an advantage to not clutching?

also, i can't find a shift kit for a rear mount engine. thinking about just mounting the rear darailer at a different angle to try and use those gears. might affect peddling though. i don't know but we'll see when the engine get here.

secondary right side drive

ok i played a little with a secondary right side drive system its a double freewheel bundle , basicaly its a motor drive sprocket where the inside sprocket freewheel indapendantly from the bike gears , i will get the youtube vid i made

Back