Titan Sold Out Till Sept 08

Thanks Scott..

Thanks a lot Scott.. I appreciate all the positive feedback I have been getting from the Titan owners. The problems have been minor from all the Titans out there . 2 broken torque straps, 1 bell housing shaft, 1 Jack shaft sprocket. Not bad considering all the Titans out there, some with over 3000 miles already. Oh... I forgot, one guy dumped his Titan over and broke a bolt off his side cover which ripped a hole in the motor !! Yikes !! No kidding.. I replaced his motor and sent him a rear mount kick stand to prevent it from happening again. I have not heard yet if he got his Titan and all is ok. He also paid me 95usd or so for everything. O yea.. I also forgot, one guy over torqued his grade 5 and sheared it off into his drive sprocket !! Good luck getting that back off. ok then.... So, the main breakage has been the Torque strap and I am replacing them with the next size larger threaded rod. This increases strength 10 times and weigh gain is only a few ounces. So far, no breaks on the new stronger version. I am still running the original version with no problems. So.. My guess is, it may be the bike and how long the reach is for teh torque strap. Since my reach is not as long as others. That may be the cause for a couple of them breaking. One broke the threaded rod, another broke T bolt weld. So..That was a weld problem. So far that has been it. When problems do happen, I go after them and take care of them as fast as I can. Thanks again.. And.. Get ready for Titan XC R3. IT will be here soon. I am excited !!!! It just gets better and better !!! Enjoy the ride...

Yeah, that 'guy' that dumped his Titan was me. I received lots of sympathy and help from the forum. One of the members even constructed a seriously heavy duty kickstand for me. I'm also the guy that broke off the grade 5 bolt that holds the sprocket on the jackshaft. If I did it over, I would NOT use a 1/2" torque wrench and only use a hand tool to get it tight. Fortunately, I aligned everything before I broke it off. If I need to replace the sprocket, I'll have to replace the whole shaft. Hopefully that won't be for a long time.

Due to lack of time (holidays & birthdays), I haven't put everything all together yet. I just got my new engine on Saturday. (Thanks Dax) Dax has been REALLY busy, which is both a Pro and a Con. (More of a Pro, in my opinion) I was REALLY crushed when I cracked my engine block, so much so, I was going to give it all up. Soon, I'll be back in business and I'll take some pix.

-John

LOL, another 12 step thread. I lost that grade 5 bolt and used a softer one and sheared it too. I was able to drill and extract it. I listend to Duane and went to True Value and got the grade 5. I broke my torque strap, but it due to rough rocky roads/ abuse.

lol.. Too Funny..

lol.. Oh man.. I did not know it was you that sheared off the Grade 5. I have since backed off on my Torque spec for that a few lbs. Which will be fine. Also, the new Titan XC R3 will have dual Grade 5's and the sprockets are milled and super nice for sure. It is un real how nice the factory has done with these. Enjoy the ride...

In the DAX Titan there are 3 reductions:engine to gearbox,(5? to1 gearbox output to jackshaft (1 to 1) and jackshaft to rear wheel
(10 to ??).It would appear relatively easy to increase the reduction to the jackshaft if 5 to 1 is too high. to make up for going to 3 to 1, like 10 to 16 instead of 10 to 10 would work .

Turkey! I saw your engine today! I touched it!
I think that rules.
I saw the milled sprockets today too. Very nice work!

Oh and I perfected the way to get on a Titan equipped bike.
Duane just pulls his leg over the top bar and that works for him.
What I do is BEND MY LEG as I swing it over so just my knee goes over and everything else is tucked in.
It completely clears everything.
No sweat.
Kung Fu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duane/DAX -
I am ready to order a frame mount engine from DAX. The one question I have left is... Is your ~70cc engine clearly marked as 70cc? I ask because I am older, and heavier, and here in Northern New England we have lots of hills. I would prefer the larger engine, but, as an otherwise pretty honest guy, I don't want to attract unnecessary attention.
Jer

Last edited:
Jer,
If you don't mind losing a little top speed, a 48 or 50 tooth sprocket would allow you to climb ANY hill in the USA. I climbed many in Colorado with those sprocket sizes and had to deal with major power loses due to the increased altitude.

Last edited:
Skyliner
Thanks for the informative response, it was very helpful. If you would now be kind enough to inform me as to what I might expect for a top speed using one of these larger sprockets, using a 50cc frame mounted engine.
Incidentally, I have no desire to become a racer. Now that I 'm retired, I Have plenty of time to get where-ever it is that I am going.
Thanks again for the previous help, and any further info you mightr be able to provide.

Jer :LOL: (Couldn't find a larger sprocket)

Last edited:
Most of my experience is at high altitude above 6500 feet.

With the 50 tooth sprocket 22mph was top speed and 25 was about top speed with the 48 tooth. At sea level it is possible to overrev your engine and I wouldn't go any faster. I blew an engine going very fast down hill with a 50 tooth sprocket in FLorida. The cage on the wrist pin roller bearing failed.

If you have a health budget to spend money on upgrades, I suggest you get Pablos and Jims jackshaft and run it to a Nu Vinci hub. You will have tons of gear ratio options from the CVT Nu Vinci adn not have to worry about sprockets anymore. You can also use the regular bike sprocket gears in lieu of a nu vincie and give your bike 5-7 gears.

Back