Tire sealant

Sean

Local time
5:53 AM
So I got rid of my solid inner tube (ROUGH RIDE& extra weight) in favor of a pneumatic and pretty much immediately get a flat. QUESTIONS: #1 Can I use regular fix a flat? #2 Can I add sealant at this point to fix it?
#3what is a good "preventative" sealant? I ride inner city so lots of hardware laying on roads to run over.

So I got rid of my solid inner tube (ROUGH RIDE& extra weight) in favor of a pneumatic and pretty much immediately get a flat. QUESTIONS: #1 Can I use regular fix a flat? #2 Can I add sealant at this point to fix it?
#3what is a good "preventative" sealant? I ride inner city so lots of hardware laying on roads to run over.
These are the only tubes I ever use since I discovered their existence 7 or 8 years ago...They are Slime filled and I used them in conjunction with kevlar reinforced Bell tires.

I have road hazards, goatheads, mesquite thorns, and tumbleweeds everywhere here in the high desert...I have not had a flat or even slow leak since I started using this combo...With regular tubes and tires, I was lucky if they lasted three days, hence my search for better...lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-30046-Self-Sealing-Schrader-1-75-2-125/dp/B000ENQRCI

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Comfort-Glide-Bike-Tires/dp/B07PKDL4LZ

The tires are almost 10 dollars cheaper at Amazon rather than Walmart.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I use this in addition to what Damien suggested. On my old frame when I tore it apart to put the tubes, liners, and tires I found a drywall screw in the tire. It didn't puncture, ot even blemish the liner, and the liner deflected the screw to the side.

Nothing will stop a nail, screw or old,old goathead from punching all the way to the rim if you run over it the wrong way.
I find that it's a tradeoff: If you use Slime or similar product in your tubes - good luck getting them into Presta valves - you can pretty much leave the patch kit at home, because patch glue - even the good stuff from Germany - and tire sealants are NOT friends.
If the hole is big enough to be visible with the naked eye, that tube is toast unless you manage to wash out all the sealant before you patch it. Good luck trying that.....
Good, Kevlar-lined tires, tire liners and puncture resistant tubes all help, but your best strategy is to watch where you're going.
Now, if you're offroading and your main enemy are 10,000,000,000,000 billion little goatheads, tire sealant might be your friend, otherwise, I'd say skip it.

good luck getting them into Presta valves
Good thing I will ONLY use Schrader valves then isn't it...lol.

that tube is toast unless you manage to wash out all the sealant before you patch it. Good luck trying that.....
It's also "good luck" that Slime is a water soluable product...lol...(Read the package, it tells ya right on it)...lol.

Environmentally friendly. Non-toxic, non-corrosive and non-hazardous, Non-flammable, Water soluble

Good, Kevlar-lined tires, tire liners and puncture resistant tubes all help, but your best strategy is to watch where you're going.
That's what I use along with the Slime already in the tubes and the rest of that is all very true.

Now, if you're offroading and your main enemy are 10,000,000,000,000 billion little goatheads, tire sealant might be your friend, otherwise, I'd say skip it.
You don't have to be Off Road here Alamogordo, NM...Thats all we have down here, they are all over the place including the roadways...lol...billions of tiny little goatheads, plus a huge proliferation of mesquite thorn bushes as far as the eye can see as well as tumble weeds constantly blown in my direction...lol...So yes, self sealing tires are my very best friends along with my Kevlar tires...lol.

Ps...Have not had ANY tire or tube failures or flats whatsoever since I discovered Kevlar tires and Slime filled tubes around 8 years ago now, even when I was still riding on conventional spoke rims. and now I ride only mags since I only do street riding...not one problem that was tire or tube related.

So I totally recommend using all of these items...It is the most trouble free way to roll...lol.

Nothing will stop a nail, screw or old,old goathead from punching all the way to the rim if you run over it the wrong way.
I find that it's a tradeoff: If you use Slime or similar product in your tubes - good luck getting them into Presta valves - you can pretty much leave the patch kit at home, because patch glue - even the good stuff from Germany - and tire sealants are NOT friends.
If the hole is big enough to be visible with the naked eye, that tube is toast unless you manage to wash out all the sealant before you patch it. Good luck trying that.....
I never go far enough from home to need to patch a tube on the side of the road. My enemy is a s**t load of goatheads and I don't do offroad. It's just the area I live is full of them. I've been trying to get them out of my yard for the past 3 years I've lived here and their just now almost gone.

Let me know how that one works out for ya long term...I've been fighting them for 12 years...lol...They are still winning...lol.
The 1/4 acre side lot used to be full of them. I spent a huge majority of last summer pulling them and running a wool blanket behind the motor to pick up the stray goatheads.

Back