Tension warning

seems to work well

After replacing the tensioner spring the drive does feel a lot better I rode 14 miles last night and some steep hills with no problems i did make an effort to give as much pedal assistance as i could when needed I think that may be the answer to the problem the clicking could be a signal that more assistance is needed,
anyway i am really enjoying the bike and drivekit I had 32mph on the airport road last night and it was very easy would like to quiten the pipe but not at the expense of power.
Royz

slips and clicks

I'm a former GEBE owner. Had two kits 1 40cc Tanaka and a 26 cc tanaka. I too had belt failure, Idlr springs breakage and the clicking and the strong Vrrrumd slip vibration sound. I had the strong velocity rim with solid axel and heavier duty spokes. Here is my 2cents . While riding I could hear and feel the click. On a clear road I cold look downand back and observe the idler bouncing up and down,sometimes staying in the non tensioned position before suddenly popping back into the tensioned position thus producing the click. This would happen regardless if the belt was tracking true or not. One thing I did notice after messing with the idler is when I would move the tensioner lever to the disengage position then when I would release the lever I would notice the driven wheel ring would flex causing a flex [ brief out of round] in the ring. I attribute this to loose drive side spokes and to some wear on the spoke slits of the drive ring. I could actually move the ring and notice some play. I can't blame this on the 40cc tanaka because the same thing happened with the smaller 26cc tanaka. I feel like when under a load[accelerate or climbing a hill] the driven wheel ring distorts slightly which causes the idler to bounce up and down.I thought the slippage might occur during when the bouncing idler was in the less tensioned position but I also noticed that slippage also occured when i locked the idler into the tension position with some vice grips. I think this caused more egg shape flex in the drive ring. Any who after two belt failures ,three idler spring failures one forward strap failur[that was interesting!!!!] I sold out and went Staton

I don't blame ya a bit there Bill...Don't think the thought hasn't occured to me more than a baker's dozen times too. After almost 2 years though, I think I'm actually becomming one with the Eagle....lmao. I've got those Split Bolts too now...hehe...I'm almost afraid to use them! I think they may help to minimze the slippage. I took one out of the bag and attached it to one of my 10 guagers, and it fit perfectly. As far as the idler arm, you've got me thinking. I mentioned in one of my other posts that the idler arm was reluctant to return sometimes. My solution was to raise the entire kit up higher at the axle, which tightens the belt. I think something may be able to be done with the idler so that it is smoother in operation. And yes, I've already tried the 3 in 1 oil....lmao.

more

So looking at my bike computer I see my max speed is 42mph i must have had my eyes closed hanging on because i dont remember seeing it at the time. mileage for just over 1/2 Gallon is 112mpg i suspect the low resistance slick 26*1.25 specialized fatboys @100p.s.i.are contributing here
I am finding that the best way for ME to ride is leaving the motor on idle up to 18 mph and then ease the throttle on and 25-30 is hardly using any power .
I plan to start commuting to work next week 25 miles each way and will be interested to see how the bike and drive kit perform .
since replacing the tension spring I have had no more clicking issues and the belt looks to be in good shape.
Roy

42 mph? He he..man, I'd have my eyes closed too...lol. Sounds like you've got that little baby singin'. I usually cruise at about 25-30. That's about all I can handle anyways...hehe. I'm loosing weight, so I'll probly see a difference in acceleration as I continue to loose. The 4 stroker is wound out tight at 32 mph on my rig. Still have to get down to Ace and get me a spring for that darn idler arm though...lol.:)

Back