Start Up Help

dkl0ud

Local time
6:25 AM
Alright so. Yesterday I got my bike running. And it ran well! I went on 2 separete rides throughout the day and it was going good. It idled well, and sounded OK (at least to my begineer ears.) But when I stopped riding, I had noticed that there was gas leaking from the head gasket area. I assumed I hadnt tightened it enough while putting it together and I was correct! So I took the head off this morning and tightened it down for real this time. But now, it is struggling to start. And when it does start, it sputters like crazy and is super jerky and the second I disengage the clutch, it dies. I really have no idea what I am doing, but would love to hear suggestions and if anyone else has had this problem.

You could have fouled the spark plug with the compression leaking. The head also needs to be torqued down to 144 inch pounds.

You could have fouled the spark plug with the compression leaking. The head also needs to be torqued down to 144 inch pounds.
I see. I will order an NGK today. The spark plug seemed very wet today when check it out and there seems to be a fair amount of gas/oil from my exhaust tip as well. Could there be too much in the engine for some reason?

I see. I will order an NGK today. The spark plug seemed very wet today when check it out and there seems to be a fair amount of gas/oil from my exhaust tip as well. Could there be too much in the engine for some reason?
The bottom end could be flooded, but it doesn't seem.very likely in your situation. I think the plug is just a bit fould from burning on low compression

Also entirely possible that you either need to anneal the head gasket you have or replace it. Many of the metal gaskets these engines come with tend to not be annealed to begin with and barely seal. If the head got loose enough that it had to re-crush when torqued, but it's too hard now to "squish" and seal properly it will still leak compression.

Also, during break-in you will need to regularly re-check the head nuts. Almost every heat cycle at first. Invest in a 1/4" drive torque wrench from Harbor Freight or Amazon that is rated to handle the 144 inch/lbs needed.

Also doesn't hurt to keep checking the other hardware on the engine and bike too. Intake and exhaust nuts and bolts in particular. They will vibrate loose over time and with heat cycles.

Back