Speedometer issues

WOW you guys were busy while I was typing my last post. So lets see.... I have not actually assembled the axle with this part since I cannot get the front wheel ON. It's a struggle just to get it on without an extra almost half inch thick piece.

The washers I bought have to be that wide since the part they would rest on is. Otherwise when I bolt down the front wheel that plastic would just crush. ON a normal bike all the pressure would be on that center brass part. But not on this one. The pressure point is further out.
but it's a mute point now. Next issue will be when my digital one arrives, how in blazes to mount that. But I think that is much more doable than this problem. I'll see what I see when it gets here in oh about a week ish, esk.

BTW just holding everything in place if I were to use it, I'm left with all of about two threads to work with. Even if I got a different bolt that's not enough. I did consider tweaking everything over but dang, getting that disk brake just right.... I really don't want to repeat that. I'll just find another model speedometer.

I use an analog spedo on my Whizzer It looks a little different than yours and it just floats on the axle. Been on my bike for 15 years
You can see the Worksman Cycles drum Brake wheel is made for an analog spedo

Attachments

• DSCF2104.JPG
    DSCF2104.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF2105.JPG
    DSCF2105.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF2106.JPG
    DSCF2106.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF2107.JPG
    DSCF2107.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 194
Oh I remember those! Had one on a bike years ago. They were better than the one with the long skinny cable thing. That little toothed gear was so much better.
But even that I don't think would work with mine. No big hub, no spokes, those wide metal spoke things I have are far from the axle.
Again, got a digital magnet type ordered, so the next problem will be getting the magnets set. But I do think that would be an easier fabrication than this thing is.

Yea I understand, I was just kinda replying that It still works after 15 years and over 37,700 miles

Attachments

• DSCF8720.JPG
    DSCF8720.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I had the Bikeberry Zeda Frame
When it comes to magnet style speedometer, i had to use a slightly thicker magnet with the one that came in my little speedo kit, and alls i did was glue the magnet on and it stayed till i sold the bike

Ok, that's good to know. Wish you had a picture of what you used. Guess that's too late huh? So ok, possible swap of a magnet or two... good to keep in mind.

I guess I jinxed myself by saying my speedometer still works after 15 years. The spedo gear still works and the odometer still works.
But today I had my bike up past 50mph and the spedo needle never came back. It"s stuck past 50mph.
I was going to order a new Whizzer speedometer today But if I put a new spedo on, The odometer will be at 0 miles. I still want to keep track of my total odometer miles since I got the bike new in 2005. I now have 37,919
So I will keep my spedo on my bike even though the speedometer needle don't work. the odometer still works and that's more important to me to keep track of my bikes total life miles.
It's not like I need the speedomete so I don't get a speeding ticket

Pic of my spedo with the needle stuck past 50mph :(
DSCF2140.JPG

OH my, and I agree, odometer is more important. I have one of those same analog ones on my other bike. They really can't take the speeds these motorized bikes go. Or maybe it's the vibration, but in any case, my speedometer lasted about a month then it just bounces wildly across the dial. No way to tell speed. But the odometer works so like you that's more important.

now my new digital one arrived today. Along with instructions I will have to take a college course to figure out. THIS is why I hate digitals so much. Just how to set this blasted thing... push one button, hold for three seconds, count to ten, spin counter clockwise, whistle dixie.... shees. I don't need most of the stuff on the list. Just speed and odometer. But gotta set it all. grrrrr.
BUT... one neat feature? You can set the odometer to any number. So when you need to change the battery, record your number, then reset it when done. Very cool huh?

Digitals... digressing here. Tried to buy a simple alarm/radio clock for the bedroom. Took back THREE of them... my god, instructions for some are printed so tiny even with my strongest reading glasses I can't even see. one I could see was something like 30 pages long? All went back. Found an old used clock radio on ebay for all of 8.00. Works fine. Alarm, clock, set. Tune radio, set to alarm or radio. All that is needed. Why do they over complicate stuff so bad?

It's blazing hot today, and my garage is even hotter. Gonna wait till evening, still gets cool out, open the garage door, run fans... and see if I can't figure out how to mount something designed for spokes onto a mag wheel. This at least will be doable. Iv'e seen a few good ideas on youtube already.
And once I get this working I'll post a follow up picture.

OH almost forgot to ask.
Anyone with a digital, magnet type.... My long winded instructions are vague on this point. "Wheel circumference." Multiplied by pi. That's it. I have to enter that into this little computer thing in order for it to give me correct speeds.
So.... isn't this something I'd find on the tire? Or just use standard bike sizes? Pretty sure mine is a 26" OR... do I measure from the axle to the rim? Or to the outer tread of the tire THEN multiply by pi? Does it matter how close to the rim I mount this thing? (I would think not since any one point on any "spoke" would make a revolution and hit the sensor at the same rate.)

Can you tell math is not my thing? Not at all. Not even close. Only class I ever flunked in my life was HS algebra. Me and math don't mix. If my life depended on it I cannot balance my blasted checkbook. I swear I can use a calculator and figure all the numbers three times and get three different results. (I keep a LOT of extra loot in there as padding and just be sure I have money in there. Good enough for me.)

Mind you I could breeze through any science classes. Aced English. Art was always an easy A. Even physics isn't a problem. It's just numbers. I have a dead spot in my brain I think.
lol... want some fun? This scene on the simpsons just cracks me up every time. THIS was me in math class.
math

Back