Something is wrong with my motor. Help needed

I have the largest wheel sprocket T-100 ... I've gone hill far steeper than the small incline on my property and it does find. I went for power instead of speed.

I found some parts on amazon ...

Clutch

Belt

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have the largest wheel sprocket T-100 ... I've gone hill far steeper than the small incline on my property and it does find. I went for power instead of speed.

I found some parts on amazon ...

Clutch

Belt
You don't realize you're burning up your clutch until you've done it. What is size sprocket are you running on the rear wheel?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That's what I am talking about the sprocket on the rear wheel is the largest one you can get ... a T-100.
What you have with that particular kit is a 4G belt drive transmission [20t\100t] a 5\1 reduction. These kits come standard with either a 9t or 10t sprocket chain drive on the transmission. This then goes to a 48t sprocket on the rear wheel. Which gives you a total reduction of depending on the transmission drive sprocket of either 24\1 or 26.67\1.

On my bike the reduction range is between 66.67\1 to 16.25\1. Though my engine is smaller than yours it produces the same amount of torque and horse power. I'm 250 lbs and my bike weighs 100 lbs. My level ground take off gear has a reduction of 36.67\1.

Even if you got a 54t rear sprocket and drove it with a 9t sprocket the total reduction would be 30\1 around what I use as a take off gear but still pedal assist.

The hill in your backyard is where the clutch just finally gave out. The other steeper hills were also contributing to wearing out your clutch.

Sounds like you need to order Don's 10G shifter kit and get a tachometer/hour counter.

Even if you got a 54t rear sprocket and drove it with a 9t sprocket the total reduction would be 30\1 around what I use as a take off gear but still pedal assist.

The hill in your backyard is where the clutch just finally gave out. The other steeper hills were also contributing to wearing out your clutch.

Sounds like you need to order Don's 10G shifter kit and get a tachometer/hour counter.
I see what you are saying now about the sprocket on the rear wheel. I was confused about it being a T 100 ... it is a 48T. So you are saying I have to pedal when going uphill to keep from wearing the clutch pads?

I see what you are saying now about the sprocket on the rear wheel. I was confused about it being a T 100 ... it is a 48T. So you are saying I have to pedal when going uphill to keep from wearing the clutch pads?
Yes you do and need to pedal anytime the bike is moving. You're probably going to need to pedal a lot as well going up hill and on take offs. This is where a multi-speed bicycle has an advantage over a single speed. You need a tachometer as well. Then pedal fast enough to where the tachometer at least reads 4500 rpm.

With your kit you can run a 9/54 which will help some on the steeper hills but you'll lose some level ground speed. We can help you build a shifter bike; then you'll have hill climbing abilities without losing level ground speed.

Okay I got the replacement parts yesterday and installed them today. The clutch replacement works fine, but the belt is a bit too big. The number on the original belt is 5M 570 ... the only replacements I could find was a 5M 575 even at the Grubee website it shows a 5M 575 as the replacement.
It is about a 1/4 in too long. There is no way to adjust the tension when the engine isn't getting a lot of rpm the belt stops grabbing. I'm not sure how I got it to grab again. I think it was when I throttle up some.

What can I do? When I do a search with the original number I keep getting hits for the 575 belt. I don't understand why grubee would make a replacement that doesn't fit well.

With your kit you can run a 9/54 which will help some on the steeper hills but you'll lose some level ground speed. We can help you build a shifter bike; then you'll have hill climbing abilities without losing level ground speed.
Any videos out there that would give me an idea what would be involved to build a shifter bike. I see Grubee sells a kit for $230 ... is that the going rate?

Back