Solo 154 FD Review

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
On these Solo 2 stroke engines, that filter is just on the end of a hose that runs in the tank up the filler neck, to vent the tank. If it's restricted in any way the engine dies. The effect was immediate when I removed it, it will also fragment and little pieces will end up in the carb. These engines will run, and they are powerful. I had luck with removing/disassembling and cleaning the carb, removing the tank vent filter, and removing the air filter. I feel his frustration, it sucked out of the box.
The cap vents air into the tank not the return line. The return line returns unused fuel to the tank. A lot of cars use the same system w/FI, using a pressure regulator. The line in the tank with the filter usually has a weight to keep it on the bottom of the tank not to suck air, that is the feed for the fuel going to the carb.

My Solex operated like that, these engines use that hose to vent. Their part listing calls is a vent hose and socket. The plug on the tank has 3 holes, if you put your finger over that vent socket, the engine dies shortly after. If that thing is plugged or restricted you'll have problems.

Attachments

• Vent.jpg
    Vent.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 121
Never seen one with 3 hoses, weird. In above pic how does the cap screw on with the hose needed to vent?

Yes, the hose just stays above the fuel level, it accomplishes the same thing as a cap vent, probably just cheaper. I would like to experiment with a different carb on this engine, vs. that non-adjustable Walbro.

The 1107 is a great carb to go with.

Note, it has no choke on the carb itself

Back