Sealed bearing questions

francisjohn

Local time
1:32 AM
I am converting a disc brake wheel that used a quick release axle to a normal hub axle. It used 6200-2RS sealed bearings and I was able to knockout the quick release axle and will use a normal hub axle. I am currently waiting on the hub axle.

I bought PGN 6200-2RS bearings and XIKE 6200-2RS bearings. My PGN order through Amazon was lost then arrived, at that point I ordered the XIKE bearings and have two sets.

1. PGN bearings have grease coming out between the inner race and seal. I wiped it off, spun it around and noticed the inner seal was getting re-moisturized. I took a second bearings and it was the same issue. The grease coming out slightly concerns me because if matter is coming out, then "things" would be able to go in (debris, dirt, water etc) If grease is coming out just from spinning it in my hand, I can't imagine miles of the bearing spinning on a front wheel. I wasn't sure if grease was coming out from me prying the seals to look inside (even though I was very careful) however, I opened another package of the PGN bearing and it was the same issue. What do you think?

2. In this photo here (click me) the XIKE next to the PGN. I don't know if this is from a poorly manufactured retaining cage. I think some sections are closer to each other than others, what do you think?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

Sealed bearing​

If I was seeing grease emanating from the bearing seal, I would naturally conclude that the "sealed" bearings are not exactly sealed like they say they are...lol.

Maybe someone here knows of a better brand to buy...Seems the PGN QC is not quite there yet.

Sealed bearing​

If I was seeing grease emanating from the bearing seal, I would naturally conclude that the "sealed" bearings are not exactly sealed like they say they are...lol.

Maybe someone here knows of a better brand to buy...Seems the PGN QC is not quite there yet.
So much for sealed bearings. PGN is the cheapest sealed bearings you can buy, especially when you buy more than x2.

To the untrained eye, PGN looks like it's made in Miami, FL. Information provided by PGN doesn't directly say "made in FL" etc, the blanket statement is "Located in Miami, FL" which can steer people believing they're made in the US. After some investigative journalism, these were my findings

1. The bearings are made in China, by a company called PGN.
  2. After looking up their warehouse and viewing it on Google maps, it appears to be more of a "packing center" than on an industrial scale of manufacturing bearings.
  3. A closer look at the parking lot, there are not many employees who work there which to indicates that they probably don't make bearings.

I believe the hype of PGN bearings are due to accessibility, and the bearings being spread to various Amazon warehouses in the US which makes next day delivery and two-day delivery more feasible, and people like their items quick.

I also believe the hype was due to their prices, it's by far the cheapest. Granted, I paid $6 or so for x100 ball bearings. The "science" behind a sealed bearing is more in depth than ball bearings imo.

The XIKE bearings offer a 6 month manufacturer warranty with a replacement or a refund, which is nice as the Amazon return policy is 30 days.

I am converting a disc brake wheel that used a quick release axle to a normal hub axle. It used 6200-2RS sealed bearings and I was able to knockout the quick release axle and will use a normal hub axle. I am currently waiting on the hub axle.

I bought PGN 6200-2RS bearings and XIKE 6200-2RS bearings. My PGN order through Amazon was lost then arrived, at that point I ordered the XIKE bearings and have two sets.

1. PGN bearings have grease coming out between the inner race and seal. I wiped it off, spun it around and noticed the inner seal was getting re-moisturized. I took a second bearings and it was the same issue. The grease coming out slightly concerns me because if matter is coming out, then "things" would be able to go in (debris, dirt, water etc) If grease is coming out just from spinning it in my hand, I can't imagine miles of the bearing spinning on a front wheel. I wasn't sure if grease was coming out from me prying the seals to look inside (even though I was very careful) however, I opened another package of the PGN bearing and it was the same issue. What do you think?

2. In this photo here (click me) the XIKE next to the PGN. I don't know if this is from a poorly manufactured retaining cage. I think some sections are closer to each other than others, what do you think?
Your lucky there's even grease in that sealed bearing from China :ROFLMAO:
You would be surprised at how little grease there usually is in a sealed bearing, Just a pea sized dap or none

Check this out, a VXB bearing for a wheel hub
New bearing was squeaking, Upon inspection (pop off seal) there wasn't any grease in it
DSCF1923.JPG

DSCF1920.JPG

Packed with Red-N-Tacky
DSCF1921.JPG

Pop seals back on
DSCF1922.JPG

The new norm for me is to grease sealed bearings before instillation

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You would be surprised at how little grease there usually is in a sealed bearing, Just a pea sized dap or none

New bearing was squeaking, Upon inspection (pop off seal) there wasn't any grease in it
View attachment 194744
View attachment 194741

Packed with Red-N-Tacky
View attachment 194742
Pop seals back on
View attachment 194743
You pick your teeth while you're at it?

You pick your teeth while you're at it?
I got a bunch of those teeth cleaning pics from my dentist,
One day while I was getting my teeth cleaned I said, joking "I need some of those to clean the carbon off cylinder heads"
To my surprise he said "I got a bunch that I cant use anymore ya want them? I said sure thanks"
They come in really handy, Besides cleaning my teeth, I can clean and pick at all kinds of stuff :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 194744
View attachment 194741

Packed with Red-N-Tacky
View attachment 194742
Pop seals back on
View attachment 194743
I did the same thing man. I was surprised how much grease was in the Xike bearings. I cleaned them out, then packed some good ol' Valvoline grease in there.

I wrestled with this 6200 bearing for two hours. It just wouldn't go in. I was laying in bed that night and thought to myself "was I pounding it with the mallet with the bearing level in the hub? maybe I should focus on more grease around the lip of the hub" the next day, I pounded the bearing in in ten seconds.

The wheel and calipers were free. I'm only $30 deep so far. It came with a 180mm rotor but I went to a 203mm and needed the adapter.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 64
  • bearing1.jpg
    bearing1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 69
I wrestled with this 6200 bearing for two hours. It just wouldn't go in. I was laying in bed that night and thought to myself "was I pounding it with the mallet with the bearing level in the hub? maybe I should focus on more grease around the lip of the hub" the next day, I pounded the bearing in in ten seconds.
It's either that or someone else would see it and do it making it looks easy, thus humbling you.

Back