Revopower Wheel

mojoruss, consider it nonexistent. I don't know what their real intent is; either to test the waters, to attract a buyer, or actually bring it to market. I've given up on them.

I think it is the 2 smoke engine they are using, it is probably raising some eyebrows. The other thing is that it has no clutch, the engine stops when you stop. And the gas tank is the water bottle and has to make the transition from stationary to rotation. I wonder if it was hard to keep from leaking. Have fun, Dave

I think it is the 2 smoke engine they are using, it is probably raising some eyebrows. The other thing is that it has no clutch, the engine stops when you stop. And the gas tank is the water bottle and has to make the transition from stationary to rotation. I wonder if it was hard to keep from leaking. Have fun, Dave

No clutch, and a flimsy water bottle gas tank? No thanks. :LOL:

It's the worst looking thing I've ever seen. It's probably restricted to 20mph, but even so the top speed is probably not that high.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
The best article I read on Revopower explained the concept, and why it's legal even under California/CARB rules: the engine is a "dirty" 2-stroke, but it is direct-geared with no clutch. The EPA and CARB does emissions testing on small engines when they are at idle, not when they are under load. Since this engine setup essentially has no idle, it is automatically passed on the EPA emissions test, due to a technicality. It does not run cleaner than any other 2-stroke.

------

I think it would be simply too expensive to manufacture, compared to what else is already available.

Beyond a certain point, there's a reason to ask if they are spending more on this "engine-inside-wheel" idea than they would if they just had bicycle frames and rear wheels built customized for mounting a bicycle engine.
~

Design of Revo Wheel

I have been doing some research on this and it seems like an interesting idea. One thing I like about it is one wheel is separate from the other, so the two don't "mix/mess up" on one wheel. It would be important to be able to turn off, just use to get up hills. It MUST have a good brake, so I don't know how you would put a disc brake on it and usual pad brakes don't seem enough. One pro about it is it's very lightweight, only adds 12 extra pounds (after front wheel is removed).

Another thing I like is it is always possible to re-convert to bike only by simply changing wheels, so one day if you're on the road you can use revowheel - or if you're taking a long jaunt on the bike path (and don't want to offend other greener riders), you can make it just a bike.

At this stage, it appears to be more of a "concept" and it is not being produced yet. The webage "www.revopower.com" is not set up, keep getting a message there's no such thing. I haven't found any reviews of a test drive. There has been a recent patent for this idea and this company may be using it. I will be very interested to see reports of persons who are actually riding on it! There's also some contradiction about price, some web pages say "$600" and others say "$400".

With a quart bottle of gas, you're going to be filling up every 25 miles, not a good range. I'd rather have a gallon. The good thing is it is not that heavy if you wind up pedalling only (unlike those 80 pound versions). That range is not much more than an electric motor.

One question I would have: Will the fact that it only goes 15-20 miles prevent you from pedalling faster or slow down coasting down hills? The fact that it does not idle when you come to a stop, but that would be a drawback if you are at an intersection at a light, and when light turns green you have to peddle right up a steep hill. Or when you take a rest on that hill, it will be difficult to peddle it back "on". (I've been in a situation like that on my current gas bike; the only way around it is coast back down the hill to get started and make a quick U turn to go back up, a dangerous maneuver when there's a lot of traffic.)

I discovered the design diagram here: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:RevoPower_Wheel . One thing I don't understand is why there are three sprockets and three chains. Those extra moving parts create more possibility for mechanical failure. Maybe this is a stupid question from someone who is not very mechanically inclined, but couldn't you just have the engine go right on the axle? Another question I have is will you be breathing in fumes from the gas engine in front of you? (I know fumes from traffic affect me.)

It is an interesting concept, but it sounds like a "work in progress"; they may need to go back to the drawing board from time to time. But who knows, maybe it's crazy enough to work. After all, they laughed at the first "horseless carriage", but look where that went!

John-Forrest Bamberger

I Know Brian Hoff of revowheel. He built the first prototype. The last time I spoke with him early this spring he said he didn't think they would get off the ground because of internal bickering. I contacted the website a few months ago about release and was told soon, then the website vanished. I saw some wheels very interesting but as stated earlier they looked like a pain to work on. I have Brian's # around here I will try and find it and give him a call, find out what is up with revowheel.

I had a deposit on two Revopower wheels but they refunded me last year. I bought two Whizzers instead. It was a good idea but the lack of a disc brake option and their less than forthcoming communication was sad. I was stoked about 225 mpg and no mods to my Cannondale Mountain bike for use of this wheel on a full suspension with a disc or V-brake compatible Super Fatty 80L fork. Too bad they are not going to produce this wheel. I would have loved to have one!

Kep1a

Back