Reliable 4 Stroke For Long Distance

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
The issue of having to do oil changes on 4 strokes for long distance riding needs to be covered. Some manufacturers recommend every 50 hour for regular use, and 25 hours for heavy use.
I change my oil every 25 hours and check the valve lashes. Very simple to do. Use a tachometer/hour counter. Get an siphon pump either manual or electric. Even at a low average speed of 15 mph that's still 375 miles between changes. Oh by the way my engine is 13 years old.

Even tuning these 2 strokes, playing with jets, carbs, mixing oil in gas, it just isn't a convenient solution. Then
they still blow up.
The 2 stroke is great for trips. When I build my new bike I will have no problems taking it 20 miles in to town and back (40 mi round trip)

Even tuning these 2 strokes, playing with jets, carbs, mixing oil in gas, it just isn't a convenient solution. Then
they still blow up.
If ya buying the "El Cheapo Grande" kits on Ebay or the other cheap sites, then you would be right, spend a little more for better quality kits and its a whole other story...lol...lol.

If ya buying the "El Cheapo Grande" kits on Ebay or the other cheap sites, then you would be right, spend a little more for better quality kits and its a whole other story...lol...lol.
That's the main issue with newbies building these. They try to build the cheapest bike they can, but also the fastest. That is just a deadly combination.

That's the main issue with newbies building these. They try to build the cheapest bike they can, but also the fastest. That is just a deadly combination.
Also throwing good money away after bad trying to chase the dream...lol...You can't polish a turd and expect it to turn into gold...lol.

REALLY???...I'm consistantly getting between 115 to 120 MPG after breakin on the P-85 despite the fact of my weight and the weight of the bike...I don't think of my fuel economy being worse in any way, it's fantastic and better than I thought it ever would be.
Yes, really! Generally speaking 2 strokes use more fuel. for a similar sized engine. Not always, but in general.

Yes, really! Generally speaking 2 strokes use more fuel. for a similar sized engine. Not always, but in general.
That tiny print font is really not fair...You know I have vision problems right now...I know it is supposed to be print but it so small it is just a long squiggle to my eyes at present time with my eye sight problems...My screen is on 150% for magnification as well.

That tiny print is really not fair...I know it is supposed to be print but it so small it is just a long squiggle to my eyes at present time with my eye sight problems.
It says "Generally speaking 2 strokes use more fuel. For a similar sized engine. Not always, but in general"

Back