Pics of my (GEBE) bike in progress

Engine Mounting

Just an observation. I received my Tanaka 33 from GEBE already in vertical (tank vertical) position. I understand that they assemble them before shipping and it could vary, but seems a bit odd.

Anyway, one additional feature Mary and others should be aware of:

The fuel feed pipe may not go all the way to bottom of tank in vertical position. It must be replaced so it rests on bottom of tank so you increase mileage.

More importantly, so engine does not run dry too often, Two-cycles, I have read somewhere, do not like to run dry...or maybe just Tanaka engines.

The fuel tube is likely available at local hardware store selling lawnmowers or Dave's Small Engines on line.

It is best to remove tank and when you do, be careful to watch for all the little sleeves etc that go between tank material and screws. And be sure to tighten well and check often, so vibration does not shake loose ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation. I received my Tanaka 33 from GEBE already in vertical (tank vertical) position. I understand that they assemble them before shipping and it could vary, but seems a bit odd.

Anyway, one additional feature Mary and others should be aware of:

The fuel feed pipe may not go all the way to bottom of tank in vertical position. It must be replaced so it rests on bottom of tank so you increase mileage.

More importantly, so engine does not run dry too often, Two-cycles, I have read somewhere, do not like to run dry...or maybe just Tanaka engines.

The fuel tube is likely available at local hardware store selling lawnmowers or Dave's Small Engines on line.

It is best to remove tank and when you do, be careful to watch for all the little sleeves etc that go between tank material and screws. And be sure to tighten well and check often, so vibration does not shake loose ...

Thanks, Bob. I agree with you, it does seem odd that you received an engine with the gas tank in the vertical position. Thanks for the other info.

Mary

oh, carp!!

Mvc-811f.jpg

thank you, hive! i did not know that the mod may require some added fuel-line. you are correct that running it dry is a no-no to avoid if possible.

mary, i hope i haven't messed you up...i've marked in red the line in question (the pic is from another topic and not all details are relevant)...if you need to, you can match the size & get enough length to reach from the carb to the new bottom of the tank.

again, thank you hive & "oops" to mary :eek:

Engine Position

Come to think of it!

My first engine I acquired separate from GEBE. It was a Honda 25 that was great but not what I needed to go up the hill to house.

Anyway, when I received the GEBE kit and assembled, per instructions, the tank was on bottom - see pic.

I was totally naive regarding this stuff and never thought to take off and flip upwards, which I could have done easily, so put up with having to lift rear wheel each time gas was low to get better fill. (Duh! on me!) But have to hang bike by front wheel to check and/or fill oil, which is less frequent need. - You can see the oil stick cap in pic.

Which is likely why 4-cycles should have tank on bottom and 2-cycles can be vertical.

I figured out all that, when I got the Tanaka. Just depends on how much odd grief one can absorb for a particular choice.

Of course, I slapped me self up-side me head for being so dense.

Sometimes the obvious isn't!

You are on your way, lass!

Attachments

• GX25SM1.jpg
    GX25SM1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 277
Of course, I slapped me self up-side me head for being so dense.

Sometimes the obvious isn't!
you're just being nice...consider me self-slapped :rolleyes:

now i'm gonna be all noivous until i hear from mary that we're cool :???:

mary, i hope i haven't messed you up...i've marked in red the line in question (the pic is from another topic and not all details are relevant)...if you need to, you can match the size & get enough length to reach from the carb to the new bottom of the tank.

again, thank you hive & "oops" to mary :eek:

Hi Augi,

No problem.

I didn't get to it yesterday at all. Today and next 2 days aren't possible.

It's easier for me to make sense of various posts (and remember) if I print them out and then highlight salient points. I read over what you and others (Hive, Butch, etc.) have posted. I wonder if rotating the position of the engine would make that much of a difference given that I am somewhat limited in the angle of the engine anyway (V brake in the way)? I may decide not do the rotation.

I wonder why GEBE sent Bob (Hive) a Tanaka with the gas tank in vertical position. Interesting.

Thanks,

Mary

looking back...dennis prefers the vertical tank position and i think he makes the change manually when/if the (pre-shipping) conversation leads to the topic of engine-rotation.

mary, there are benefits that can be worth it...it won't change your "tilt" any, but it will transfer some weight and visual bulk slightly forward on the assembly, sort-of filling the gap left by the rearward tilt that you have to use in your instance.

then: carburetor/air cleaner is on top for ease of service.
also: the obvious benefit of easy & complete fill-ups.
bestest part: the muffler winds up on the lower-rear corner of the engine, as far away from the rider as possible...you wouldn't expect so, it's tons quieter to the rider.

btw- i don't think you'd need to remove the tank, fish the old line/pickup out the fill-hole with a wire hook....heck, use a small push-on tube to splice some additional length onto the existing line.

anyway, i'm glad you didn't get caught with my pants down (whew!)...keep us posted :)

now i'm gonna be all noivous until i hear from mary that we're cool :???:

Here's from the horses mouth: You guys are TOTALLY cool!

And very kind to help newbies like me out like this! (Grammatically incorrect, but oh well :) )

Mary

mary, there are benefits that can be worth it...it won't change your "tilt" any, but it will transfer some weight and visual bulk slightly forward on the assembly, sort-of filling the gap left by the rearward tilt that you have to use in your instance.

then: carburetor/air cleaner is on top for ease of service.
also: the obvious benefit of easy & complete fill-ups.
bestest part: the muffler winds up on the lower-rear corner of the engine, as far away from the rider as possible...it's tons quieter to the rider.

I love the idea of a quiet motor. Later, I may be asking how to add a muffler.

You know, I haven't even added gas to this puppy since I received it in September. On my!

I noticed on GEBE site that any modifications can void your warranty but at the rate I'm going...

Mary said:
You know, I haven't even added gas to this puppy since I received it in September. On my!
hehe...i remember your early posts and hesitation...i admire your courage in diggin' in, and i'm heartened that MBc helped you get there :)

Back