Tubes Need better inner tube

Developing a new problem. Thought I'd post here BEFORE I get a flat.

First flat I ever got, right after buying the bike, was when the tire separated from the bead. It literally tore. I assumed it wasn't seated right and I didn't catch it. Got the same kind of tire and replaced it.

Well... now I'm very careful to check the tire pressure before any form of "long" ride.
And was very careful when I put the tire on that it was even and properly seated.
BUT.... yesterday upon very close inspection, I can see it starting to show signs of wear right at the point where the edge of the metal rim meets the tire.
What the heck?
I swear these balloon tires look to me to be too big for the rims. Tires are 26x2.125
When I get my next set, should I go with a narrower size? If so, what?
some rims are wider than 'normal' ... Check out the Sun BFR Mamoth rim. The photo shows a Bell Kevlar cruiser tire mounted.

I can't afford a new rim. Need to know if a narrower tire would be better for what I'm guessing is a standard width rim. The balloon tires on there now are being cut BY the rim. (Possibly also due to the low pressure they take.)

I can't believe how many websites selling Serfas Survivor CTRB Drifter S
Won't answer an email! GEES I though we were in tough times now. How can businesses just blow off a paying customer!

So... I bet you guys know. Will this stupid tire fit my bike? I can't find one with exactly the same size tire as what I have. I'm guessing the second set of numbers, x2.125 has to do with width of the tire. This one comes in 26x2.0 or 26x1.5
Do I get the 2.0?
What exactly do those numbers mean?

I can't believe how many websites selling Serfas Survivor CTRB Drifter S
Won't answer an email! GEES I though we were in tough times now. How can businesses just blow off a paying customer!

So... I bet you guys know. Will this stupid tire fit my bike? I can't find one with exactly the same size tire as what I have. I'm guessing the second set of numbers, x2.125 has to do with width of the tire. This one comes in 26x2.0 or 26x1.5
Do I get the 2.0?
What exactly do those numbers mean?

IIf you are using 2.125, you shouldn't have a problem with 2.0. You have it right, it's the width of the tire.

Ok, good to know thanks. Now which one of the stupid companies who can't be bothered to reply should I buy from? ..... scratches head.

HEY!!!!! ONE site answered me.

Now... I need you experts. Seems I have a few choices here.
Which one is best?

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126177516
I don't care much for the smooth tread. I do ride mostly on paved roads but occasionally have to use a gravel or dirt one. Or get over onto the shoulder.
Will these have good traction when I do that?

Or...
http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126177517
I like these, but.... now the opposite problem. Long rides on pavement. Bike is already a vibrator. (gee that doesnt' sound right.) Will these give a rougher ride?

And mostly is there any less flat resistance with these vs the first ones? That's my main concern. No more flats.

more... the only thing I see different on the two listings is the second one doesn't say what the tire pressure is.

Last edited:
Go with the 1st choice there, you'll be fine. The knobbies in the 2nd link are going to ride rough as heck on pavement and have a lot more rolling resistance.

agh, too late. Already ordered.
It's that need to go on gravel that I worried about. More than the vibrating ride. Already have knobby tires so it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

But the roads around here, ALL of them are two lane 55mpg highways with about a 2' bit along side for me to ride on. Sometimes even less. And usually with gravel on them.

No one ever answered the tire pressure on those though. One site said the specks should be about the same. "Should be?" How about looking?
OH well. We'll see when they come.

The inverted tread on the first tire would work well on gravel. The smooth portion is super on pavement. (I run Continental Town & Country tires, which have a very similar, inverted tread.)

Back