Tubes Need better inner tube

I used to get flats weekly, sometimes more than once a week from all the thorns where I live until I lined my tires with two layers of motorcycle tubes, haven't had a flat since. Motorcycle dirt bike tubes are far thicker than bike tubes. It adds a little weight but works great.

I must be just extremely lucky or something. 1000miles of riding HARD, off road and on road, and I have not got one flat. Except on the maiden voyage, but those tubes had presta valves and the kid i bought the bike from didnt pump the tubes enough so air slowly leaked out. Still going strong on STOCK tires and tubes.

I think it depends on where you live. When I lived in San Diego I never got flats. In Utah there's thorns everywhere and I got flats all the time until I lined the tires.

Developing a new problem. Thought I'd post here BEFORE I get a flat.

First flat I ever got, right after buying the bike, was when the tire separated from the bead. It literally tore. I assumed it wasn't seated right and I didn't catch it. Got the same kind of tire and replaced it.

Well... now I'm very careful to check the tire pressure before any form of "long" ride.
And was very careful when I put the tire on that it was even and properly seated.
BUT.... yesterday upon very close inspection, I can see it starting to show signs of wear right at the point where the edge of the metal rim meets the tire.
What the heck?
I swear these balloon tires look to me to be too big for the rims. Tires are 26x2.125
When I get my next set, should I go with a narrower size? If so, what?

Splurge on the Serfas Drifter Survivor, $20-25 bucks at your local bike shop.

They are 2.0, and I neither carry a repair kit nor spare tube, that's how ****y they make you feel.

I discovered a tear on my front after returning from NC on the recumbent, rec. on the sidewall said up to 100 psi, I was running maybe 60. But I was going to replace it (and did) when I got back home, anyway.

As to pdxrhett's luck, when I first got those early Wally World bikes in 2005, I had to pump up the $2 tubes at least once a week. That hassle led me to the slimers, at least they held air.

All I see is 26x 1.95. That will fit right? And will I need new tubes too?

I'll also miss my white walls. Looks so cool on that bike. BUT... I won't miss flats.

All I see is 26x 1.95. That will fit right? And will I need new tubes too?

I'll also miss my white walls. Looks so cool on that bike. BUT... I won't miss flats.

Yeah, that's right, but off the top of my head, the heavy tubes fit 1.5 to 2.25.

If you do all the recs in this thread, that will be one solid tire.

Hmmmmmm, folks used to paint whitewalls in the Model-T days, seems do-able, if you can keep it between the lines.

Hmmmmmm, folks used to paint whitewalls in the Model-T days, seems do-able, if you can keep it between the lines.
REALLY??? What kind of paint do you get for tires? I know auto shops sell these white crayon things for touching up tires, but alone on a black tire they just aren't the same.

pseudo-opulence.

Oh I love that!!! lol.
This site looks promising.
http://www.rangerpaint.com/
Ok, I have a plan then. My tires look ok for now. But will keep an eye on this for sure. I think the narrower tires would be a good idea. Probably much tougher. (And a lot of ME to hold up, tougher is good.)

Thanks.

Back