Necessary tools for installation

Greggl432

Local time
12:18 AM
What all do I need for installation of a motor kit on a Huffy cranbrook. I no longer have a garage full of tools and was wondering if I could get away with a simple wrench set. Or if not, what exactly is it that i'd need?

These are my tools, could I get away with a $10 dollar wrench set?

Attachments

• 434203491_824707526139949_5858900369156267807_n.jpg
    434203491_824707526139949_5858900369156267807_n.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 31
A metric socket set and wrenches plus a small torque wench for the head bolts would be handy.

And is a chain break necessary or could I get buy without one

why sockets and wrenches? why not just wrenches

I'm on a very tight budget -- additionally, it costs me about $40 USD to Uber out to AutoZone and back so I want to make sure I get everything I need at one time.

would this suffice?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-24 3.24.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-24 3.24.15 PM.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 25
I bet I used a chain break 5 times before I got everything done.
You might can get by with just wrenches but sometimes you don' have enough clearance for wrenches and they are a pain in the ass usually but sometime you need them.
Luckily I had a chain breaker from when I was in young working on dirt bikes.

I have been buying tools for close to 50 years and spent many thousands of dollars on them but still have to buy tools occasionaly.

Harbor freight is your friend for low cost tools,I see no need for top quality tool working on these bikes.

Is $10 all you have for a budget, or are you trying to do things on nightmare mode for an achievement?

Yes, you could assemble one of these kits with basic combination wrenches and the other tools you have pictured.

Investing in the most basic of tool sets will be far less frustrating, and as previously mentioned a 1/4 inch drive inch-pound torque wrench is a good thing to have to keep track of the head vbolt torque during break in as it will get loose, and relatively frequently at first.

If you are that limited on budget, then by all means do what you have to do to get the job done. Just know that you will be fighting a slightly uphill battle.

And is a chain break necessary or could I get buy without one

why sockets and wrenches? why not just wrenches

I'm on a very tight budget -- additionally, it costs me about $40 USD to Uber out to AutoZone and back so I want to make sure I get everything I need at one time.

would this suffice?
Auto parts stores are one of the worst places to buy tools: expense and low quality. With these bikes you'll have to invest into getting some decent tools. We also like to carry stuff that makes roadside repairs easier. Breakdowns on the roadside are inevitable.

Why 6 point sockets? Because in many instances torquing is required; you can't do that with a combo wrench. Specialized tools are going to be needed as well. For instance try putting a master-link in a broken chain while on the roadside without a chain-breaker tool.

I've known several people who've had lots of tools. Yet didn't have a clue on how to correctly use them. An old cliche I heard many years ago "Life is so much easier when you have the right tool for the job".

Live within your budget but always invest in your future. What can you sacrifice today for improvements in the near future? Junk food, cigarettes, alcohol etc.

Back