My first project is not off to a very good start...

once the engine is warm, use the idle screw (on the side of carb with spring under it)
turn it clockwise (in) to speed up the idle
your troubles should be fixed :D

Thanks azbill. I was tryin to find somewhere that said what way to turn the screw to speed up and slow down. I'm so excited. My bike is gonna be so mu more fun to ride now that I don't have to kill the engine every time I want to stop or go very slow.

Now I have a new problem. When I start my bike I have to keep pedaling and letting out the clutch lever for a long time before my bike will start. I have to go about a 100 yards with the clutch lever out before it will fire up. Any ideas on what to check to get it to start easier?

Do you use the choke and the tickler button? For me, I use full choke, lever in up position, and push the tickler button 3 or 4 times. The bike will usually start in less than 20 ft. After it starts I will immediately take the choke off or if it is really cold out I will leave the choke on about half way for a minute or two. Hope this helps.

I do use the choke and the tickler. I put the choke lever about 3/4 of the way up, and push the tickler about 5 times I guess. The hill I live on is about 150 yards from where my apartment is to the bottom of the hill and I pedal up to speed and let go of the clutch about 8-10 times before I get to the bottom of the hill. Sometimes it doesn't even start by then and I have to go even farther down another road to get it to fire up. It doesn't seem right to me.

I spent about two hours tweakin the thing today. I replaced the plug with a champion L86C, I used RTV to seal the intake tube, and(what I think made the biggest difference) took the clutch plate cover off and tightened the star nut about three revolutions. It made a HUGE difference in how the thing runs. Starts right away, doesn't die when I pull the clutch lever in, and slows down when I let off the gas. When I come to a stop sign or intersection I need to stop at, I don't have to kill the engine and pedal a bunch to restart it every block I go. This thing is going to be ten times more fun to cruise around on. I appreciate everybody's tips and things to check so much. I am going too put so many more miles on this thing since it is easier and more manageable on the road. Again, Thanks

I've been watching this thread, but being a newbie I didn't have anything to offer. Figured I'd let the folks with experience do the talking.

But anyway, I'm glad things are working for you. Have fun!

Motor siezed. Something got caught in between the piston and cylinder wall. Kinda looked like bearing needles but haven't been able to get the piston out of the thing. It's jammed freakin tight. This sucks.

Back