Motorizing a road bike?

i just noticed it is almost the same as a giant aluxx i have here , but the reason it caught my eye was the fact it was 100€ sells new for around 800€. any bikes i've built so far none have had any suspension , so not too bothered by comfort.
Buy for 1 sell for 2 or for .5 if you can't move it and yell at me for bad advice.

I agree. Might be worth buying and storing until spring, as long as you've checked it thoroughly and it's okay, then you can sell it on with no modifications, just clean and greased. :)

I don't know how you would put a throttle and clutch on there, the straight aluminum fork will be worse than any curved steel rigid fork you've had, and perhaps OEM wheels aren't likely to be the strongest so all in all I would expect probably a better bet to just leave it human powered. IMHO

My personal preference is cruisers and mountain bikes. I use front and seat post suspension on my hard tail bike. With 2 inch wide tires. I once tried a solid seat post and took a real beating. Felt every bump in the road. I hope you're a small person because on that bike you'll be giving up a lot of comfort if you're a large person. Just something to think about

As a large person, I found that dumping a bike breaks the seat, even my sister who is significantly smaller than me has found that out, I had to rebuild her seat twice!

Now I'm using a largish plank of treated plywood, with a smaller brick of it screwed in with wood screws and rounded out nicely with a belt sander. Cut the screw off flush at the underside.

Bit if seat cushion for outdoor use and then a heavy leather sheet pulled over it and sealed with contact cement and stapled. The leather was from a purse I found at the thrift shop (great for leather items at good price, if you're going to chop it up don't spend a lot) for a few bucks, envisioned other ideas for it and there was enough to spare.

It's very sturdy leather, I think it was the real deal purse that goes for something like 120 dollars I paid 4 dollars for and destroyed almost immediately because it was plain hideous. Anyway it takes leather polish well and I noticed shoe polish works OK too.

The point is my seat is large and very very comfy, durable as all heck, and doesnt get wet in the slightest in the rain or snow/ice, it just sheds it as long as it's kept proper. The purse strap made a good decorative belt like sash over the seat. Useful as well, I stick my gloves and sunglasses under the strap when I'm not using them and it keeps them off the ground.

Just wondering if anyone has ever fitted a kit to a road bike ? Or is it a bad idea with the skinny wheels? Here's what I was thinking of fitting a China girl to.View attachment 75554

It will work it's a fast and easy build but the ride is super uncom for table u feel every thing and prepare to walk around d with a bunch of spare tubes I caught a flat almost every two days and pot hole u hit u get a flat

The high speeds and extra weight of a gas powered bike put a real pounding on it if the roads are rough.
A racer is designed for minimum extra margin of strength.

I have a generic 10-speed with a 48cc motor on it.
full

Notice that I switched to larger tires to improve the ride, but it has survived 30mph quite nicely.

Back