Jaguar CDI upgrade

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
in other words its the same circuit, hastily made on veroboard (no PCB or potting compound??) put in a box accompanied by shameless self promotion.
Harsh.
The Jag is a product made by an MB'er for MB'ers specifically for those that run higher RPM's than a stock CDI can handle.

He put a lot of time and effort into it and made it available to buy ready to go.
This a Jag CDI topic.

You want to bash a guy in a topic about something he made because... why?
He sees an opportunity to make a small business working from home doing something he is really good at, providing things others really want?

Do you slam Paul and Jim at Sick Bike Parts for coming up with the Jackshaft kit in the forums and now selling them and other cool MB stuff because they made it a business?

How about Staton?
Hate him too?
Hate me? I am starting a parts business too.

I applaud anyone brave enough to come up with something cool and give business a shot.
It is expensive and really hard to do, especially alone.

Rock on Jag, the racing MB'ers your CDI is for are glad it is there to buy and it works.

right on. I went thru a lot of time and trouble to get it right and everyone else are just copy cats following my lead, trying to undercut my business.

Heads-a-mess, it don't make any difference if its made on veroboard. Actually the way I make the connections will last way longer than those thin copper tracts on etched boards. In other words it is more corrosion resistant that way.

Thanks KC, you make some awesome builds.
actually my CDI is not just for high RPM engines but also for engines with higher compression. And it can be used on stock engines just for the increase in reliability, stronger spark, and lessening of vibration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt sure if jaguar cdi was open source or not. I already had ordered parts for the mofied version, so that will be built soon. I will see how much change in vibration the two resistors make. Giving an addition 3-4 settings which is cool. If using switches, i think it should be build with 4 switches and not 5. 1 switch being a double pole, to prevent an accident. One guy had wrong setting and burnt threw his piston.

I have big heat sink on mine, everything has hot glue, gold connectors and fat traces on bottom. Not sure what jaguar uses??... Plus i like three pin jumpers that give place to put jumper

I just tried putting double gasket in and have way less vibration. I might like lower compression more.

touche :ROFLMAO:

do i hate certain other vendors? no... i certainly dont hate jag either though i do seem to have a vendetta. its more the things he says :)

a shift kit is quite technical, the guys that make them put a lot of effort and research into them, machining, materials, stocking, advertising... they dont simply copy an existing product with a few minor variations then parade it as being the piece de resistance.

veroboard is for prototyping and hobby use. real quality calls for PCB. whats so hard about using spade terminal connectors, and epoxy? if its WATERPROOF, how can corrosion be of any concern anyway?

for US$70 or so i myself would expect that. but thats just me. maybe im spoiled by working on too many commercial products that are really well sealed for a number of reasons?

cus my head is such a mess.... yep, im an a-hole...

the ivan-rohmell schematic redrawn and hopefully labelled.
ihrcdischematic.jpg

PCB trace to suit for etching.
ihrcdiPCB.png

and holes/component layout required to fill out the board.
ihrcdicomponent.png

ignore the thyristor listed in the schematic, its all that was in the softwares library. use bt151 or cd106 or whatever it is (does NOT need heatsinking!). replace the top row of jumpers with spade terminals or similar... and 1n4007's take a bit more voltage...

nicely spaced and arranged jumpers...could always lead em off to switches i guess...

you could make 30 or so for an initial outlay of less than 300...

not that im implying you should do so. as has been stated, that circuit has a major flaw...apparently... cant sell shonky inferior products now, can we? and its open source. not-for-profit.

strangely, no one that has made one has found this particular flaw...so im confused...is there a flaw or not?...you decide!

Last edited:
heads-a-mess you used to **** me off. Now you tickle my funny bone. seriously. maybe I'm just getting too old to let the little stuff bother me. (love this saying: Don't sweat the little stuff. Everything is "little stuff".)

People who know me well, often ask how I don't let things upset me. I tell that if the issue or problem doesn't mean the end of the known universe, it's just a small problem. So you need to have scale to compare problems against!

Wow! The new mod for the Jaguar CDI sounds great! It's really surprising though to see so many people interested in making their own CDI. It would seem easier and cheaper in the time saved to just order one from Jaguar. It comes with a proper ignition coil too. Great thanks to Jaguar for developing and marketing a solution for us. The China Girl producers didn't give us one. The stock CDI not only is not compatible with the performance improvement mods, the engine will have minimum resource potential even if you drive it slow and easy all the time when using the stock CDI. Moreover, I would like to add that a Chinese bicycle engine producer answered me by email that it was not in his interests to make engines that did not comply with the local laws where the engines are used. I have no doubts at all that the vibration from the poor balance in the flywheel and the non-retarding CDI was developed intentionally to prevent just anyone from getting more power and or driving faster! The Chinese engineered it in, because every time some kid kicks the can on one of these things, the Chinese lose a market.

Back