Is my main drive clutch sprocket bent?

Anime2019Master

Local time
1:43 AM
Was having trouble getting it started, but after a bit of troubleshooting, I think I found the issue. One of the clutch wheels looks bent. When I drop the clutch, it seems like it isn't pumping the piston much, maybe half at best. When I push, it seems to cycle fine. So this made me check the clutch. It has a janky, jerky kinda movement, pretty sure it's not supposed to.

Attachments

• 20190705_170001.jpg
    20190705_170001.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
UPDATE: now I'm not sure if it's bent or not, but something on the inside isn't gripping for sure. When spark plug is in and engine is under compression,while rolling the bike the gear will stop turning at the piston apex, and make a sliding kinda sound, like something is moving that isn't supposed to be.

is it like a screech sound? that could mean the clutch is slipping a bit (i sometimes have this problem on my bike, but mine has a bit more compresion than it would otherwise stock) what you do is pull in the clutch, and then drop it again to over come the compression stroke, it should start then.

if its jankey, (like it feels like its going back then forth) you need pedal the bike a bit faster then try to start it, as your effectively lugging the engine and causing it to jerk.

the only way to see if its bent is to take out the spark plug and rotate the wheel, if you see a wable, then its bent (pretty easy to fix, theres like 20 videos on youtube on how to correct this)

hope this helps!

That flower nut looks like it could go in a turn or 2.
Also push it and see if the big gear turns but the little one stays still. Correction. Big and little rotate, but screw at little gear stays still.

Last edited:
That flower nut looks like it could go in a turn or 2.
Also push it and see if the big gear turns but the little one stays still.
At the point of the picture, the flower nut was at default, as it was shipped. I have since removed it, so it's tight now. And yes, when I push the bike at least 1-3mph, when the piston get to the top, it stops there, and the screw spins, but the gear does not. And there is definitely a warble mark20, its like the gear is climbing a hill, and then crests it. I'll see if I can get a video later today and post a link for it.

What I asked was does the big gear spin, but the little one stay still. If so you're missing a woodruff key. Correction. Big and little gears rotate, but screw at the little gear stays still. I'll wait for the video. If your talking about the big gear having a wobble to it, they all do.

If with the clutch released the output sprocket on the engine that drives the chain and the nut that holds it on are both spinning, but the clutch is not the woodruff key at the output sprocket is good. If the output sprocket is spinning but the nut is not the woodruff key here is bad.

If both sprocket and nut at the output sprocket are spinning but the big gear at the clutch is not you either have a slipping clutch due to poor adjustment or contamination on the pads, or a bad woodruff key at the clutch assy.

If big gear at clutch and small gear is spinning, but small gear screw is not you have bad woodruff key at small gear.

Last edited:
What I asked was does the big gear spin, but the little one stay still. If so you're missing a woodruff key. I'll wait for the video. If your talking about the big gear having a wobble to it, they all do.

If with the clutch released the output sprocket on the engine that drives the chain and the nut that holds it on are both spinning, but the clutch is not the woodruff key at the output sprocket is good. If the output sprocket is spinning but the nut is not the woodruff key here is bad.

If both sprocket and nut at the output sprocket are spinning but the big gear at the clutch is not you either have a slipping clutch due to poor adjustment or contamination on the pads, or a bad woodruff key at the clutch assy.

If big gear at clutch is spinning, but small gear on crank is not you have bad woodruff key at small gear.
The small gear stops for a moment while the big gear keeps moving I believe. I got a video, not the best quality, it's hard to push the bike and hold the phone at the same time, lol. I'll post a link in a sec, it won't let me post it here directly, too large.

Edit: here's the link.

Last edited:
Man it looks like everything is working right, but it is hard to tell on the video. It really doesn't look bad. I can hear the piston going pu and down. Are you sure the clutch is the starting problem? Nothing seems to be slipping. Their is no way the small gear is going to stop turning with the big one turning. I mis spoke. It should have read if both large and small gears are turning but the screw holding the small gear is still it's the woodruff key at the small gear. Sorry about that. Are you sure their is no grease on the clutch pads?

Last edited:
It is hard to see if the small gear actually stops turning when the big gear is turning.
But it does look like the screw that holds the small gear on is loose, it looks too far out. I think it would be a good place to start. If the screw has loosened it's quite possible that the woodruff key beneath it is damaged.

Idk, it has gas, it's getting spark, there's no reason I can think of why It won't start, it was running fine earlier that day, then nothing. The reason I think it has something to do with that gear is when moving at speed, when I drop the clutch it should start, but it feels like the piston moves to the top and doesn't cycle. Only moving slow does it seem to cycle mostly correct. I think I'll go by an auto store and see if I can find a gear puller, if it is the key, I'll know then and can fix it, and if it's not, at least I know what the issue isnt.

Back