How much compression do you have with standard head and RockSolidEngines Billet Head

High performance Motor.

Fabian

If a single speed setup can push a motorised bicycle up a seriously steep driveway without one heck of a run-up, i'll be beating a path to the engine manufacturers door; throwing my SBP shift kit in the bin and returning to basics!

Check this out.
Pirate Cycles is getting a Performance Kit.

http://www.piratecycles1.com/

Look at the banner.

Sweet i cant wait.

A couple of readily available bolt-on bits and some unnamed Chinese carb???
Doesn't sound that hot.
(That billet inlet is a problem with the stock carb and clutch cable/adjuster clearance.)
Still won't climb that hill without a run-up.
For me, at least, billet head, stock carb tuned properly, decent SBP air filter and shift kit.
Don't need more.
Stock NT carbs aren't bad with a bit of intake smoothing, (removing the step on the intake horn of the carb), decent sealing, the right main jet and slide-needle setting. Mine pulls happily to 7400RPM, even with the stock head and needs it with a fixed, single gearing.
Without a shift kit, the engines are forced to rev out too high too often.
I just want to cruise along at 40-50kph at ~4000RPM or less and have a nice low gearing when needed, like for turns on gravel etc.
My accident yesterday was due to too high a gearing, gravel and trying to go quick enough to avoid stalling. The head injury is due to no helmet. (It's only my driveway - what could happen?)
Front wheel slide, then headfirst into a concrete driveway. Unconscious for a few seconds, vomiting, good gash in the forehead, no memory for 30min after starting to fall.
Shoulder, knee, right-hand as a bonus.
No rides for a few days - a bit banged up.
With a shift kit in low gear, it wouldn't have happened.
Arriving in the next few days.

... Steve

Last edited:
Well it's not a no named carb.
Its a true Dellorto PHBG
And a Reed Intake.
Also a Pipe to make everything complete.
Not to mention all high quality bearings.
This is the real deal.
Ported for optimal performance.

It'll revv super high or put some serious punch in your bottom end.

I allways wear a motorcycle helmet.
Better to be safe you never know what can happen.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
I hope you feel better soon.

Well it's not a no named carb.
Its a true Dellorto PHBG
And a Reed Intake.
Also a Pipe to make everything complete.
Not to mention all high quality bearings.
This is the real deal.
Ported for optimal performance.

It'll revv super high or put some serious punch in your bottom end.

You're sure it's a Dellorto?
I only said no-name because they labelled it 'The Racing Carb' rather than list the name and model.
Actually, on second look, I might have got my wires crossed. I assumed that their usual '...Racing Carb' was the one being fitted to the HP engines. It's described as a Chinese performance carb.
The reed intake bit is interesting.
Not too sure about revving these engines 'super-high'. They won't take it for long. My 7400 isn't bad - personally, I'd rather improve the bottom to mid rev-range and then use the gears for top speed rather than RPM.
My real point, though, was that a fixed gearing has too many limitations, in my opinion. Especially for steep hills, delicate manoevring etc, while still keeping a decent cruising speed.
(I'd love a little 3-4 speed gearbox)

I allways wear a motorcycle helmet.
Better to be safe you never know what can happen.
Sorry to hear about your accident.
I hope you feel better soon.

No real harm done this time. I was lucky. A few days or so. (Still got a smile on my dial and the bike's ready to go again. Went right over it today.)
I read about Turtle Tedd's more serious accident, (no helmet), yesterday morning and still rode without a couple of hours later.
You never know when it's coming.

Back on topic, I'll try to do the compression test on the billet head in a day or two. Be interesting to compare to the stock 115psi.

... Steve

Last edited:
Yes im sure its the Dellorto PHBG.
Not a SHA or a Knockoff.

The PK with the Crowded needle bearing " CAGELESS " can take some serious abuse.

Hopefully we can get some more info about this motor.

It sounds really good.

And yes i would use a jackshaft myself if i saved the money.
Someday.

It is rough on thoose really steep hills.

I think even 3 speeds would be great.

I finished fitting my shift kit this afternoon. It's raining cats and dogs, so I can't have a test ride yet, but I finally got the compression test on the billet head done - 142psi.
I don't think I cranked it quite as fast as with the stock head, which weighed in at 115psi, but I went close. (Kicking the motor over on the centre-stand.) It's bloody hard to turn over now, but I can still do it, just.
The shift kit went together really well - great engineering, much better than the engine kit itself.
I just calculated my speed in each gear, with my current rear cluster and drive sprockets.
It used to pull to 7400RPM, so I based my calc on that:-

1st - 23.6mph / 37.8kph
2nd - 27.5mph / 44kph
3rd - 31.5mph / 50.4kph
4th - 36.7mph / 58.7kph
5th - 41.3mph / 66.1kph
6th - 47.2mph / 75.5kph

For a comfortable bottom speed, it will do 10.2kph, (6.4mph), in first gear at 2000RPM and in top gear at 2000RPM it will do 20.5kph, (12.8mph).
I'm thinking about gearing it lower, or at least, lower bottom gears.
Looking good - if only the rain would stop. Can hardly wait. Maybe tomorrow.

P.S. I just uploaded some pics into the album on my profile page.

... Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve

Does your engine actually run with the billet head.

In my case the billet head had so much compression on a standard engine that it was almost impossible to turn over and with a single head gasket, the air/fuel mix was being squeezed into half the space saturating the sparkplug with fuel, preventing the sparkplug from firing the mixture.

I had to add another two head gaskets for the engine to run and i needed about half throttle just for the engine to idle.
At full throttle the engine had no power, so much so that it couldn't even get me up my driveway in first gear.

returning to the standard cylinder head and a single gasket, all the power returned, just as normal.

Fabian

Hey GOTHICGUY64

Hows that racing piston working out.
Is it one of the ceramic coated ones from RockSolid.
I been looking at thoose.

Wouldn't mind having one.

Any input?

yerr it is great mind u i had to wait a week for RSE to pickup from melb coaters .
All motor needs is a offset inlet instead of billet so i can access filter for carby .I,ll get 1 from pirate (u guys),then get both a boost bottle an nitrous .
Billet head far diff from urs mind you ive the 48cc motor that is now 50cc .
Last on my list is a sick bike expansion chamber.

:helmet:

Back