Grubee skyhawk 2 gearbox question

The above question is answered because I've found an oil drain plug below the filler. Didn't see it at first. The rig should soon be complete and I'm excited by what it will run like. I'm leaving the old 44 tooth 2-stroke sprocket wheel on it to see how it runs. If necessary I can replace it with an old 48 tooth or even the 56 tooth that came with the kit.

Thank's for your interest and input

Hi all, thankyou for your input to my gearbox problem, i have tried using the stop leak and gear oil, and straight gear oil (85/140) , clutch still slips, so i tried grease only, and clutch grabs real bad, after a while i thought maybee i'm to heavy (fat) i'm 95kg , not too bad i think, 56 tooth sprocket on rear so should be no problem, best success i have had so far is using the grease and placing 1 tablespoon of gear oil in the top once per week and that is working well for now, but i would like to be able to use a shallow bath of oil to lubricate and clean the cogs without the clutch slipping. One very interesting thing i have noticed about my current tablespoon method is : the clutch will not slip on the way to work in the morning (when the temperature is cool ) around 8 degrees celcius but will slip when i am half way home in the afternoon (when the temperature is warm/hot) 30 degrees celcius ,why is it so? perhaps the viscosity of the oil has changed with the increase in temperature (thinned out) and therefore the clutch slipps, It starts slipping at the same set of lights each day, Some info i read on the net indicates the use of sae 20 oil and below 20 to be used in dry clutch applications (no friction modifiiers) just straight mineral oil and very thin, i am going to keep experomenting for a while yet, by now.:cool:

I have also tried this with......

I too have tried the wet and dry method on the JL or Grubee type gear box. Wet the Clutch slips. The Reason I tried it wet was a futile attempt to quiet the gear box. No Joy. I have a new type gear box from the DAX factory I will be testing. I was told that the Gear box on this Unit is dry with grease only. So.. That is how I will test it. Provided I find the time to finish mounting it. I hope it is quiet. That was my dislike for the Grubee or JL type was I did not like all the noise from the Gear box. Sounded like a huge School bus in reverse. Whine like crazy. At any rate. I will test the new gear box and let you all know. I will post it in the Vendor area once I get it going. Thanks..Enjoy the ride..

The Titan motor looks exactly like a Huang Sheng 140FG. What is the difference?

I too have tried the wet and dry method on the JL or Grubee type gear box. Wet the Clutch slips. The Reason I tried it wet was a futile attempt to quiet the gear box. No Joy. I have a new type gear box from the DAX factory I will be testing. I was told that the Gear box on this Unit is dry with grease only. So.. That is how I will test it. Provided I find the time to finish mounting it. I hope it is quiet. That was my dislike for the Grubee or JL type was I did not like all the noise from the Gear box. Sounded like a huge School bus in reverse. Whine like crazy. At any rate. I will test the new gear box and let you all know. I will post it in the Vendor area once I get it going. Thanks..Enjoy the ride..
Please do that.

What I use in this gearbox is a 50/50 mix of gear oil and transmission stop leak. I began drilling the hole after I had to take the gearbox apart to free a stuck clutch when using a grubee recomendation to use grease. Learn from this site alot of us have screwed up enough to know. The silicone seal was when I found out the gearbox leaks.Drill a hole apx.1/8 and tap (you can make it whatever size works for you) make sure to use a short screw that will not touch the clutch one that just makes it through the housing, check before sealing. Use a squirt type oil can.
The hole doesn't have to be in this exact location but in a place where the oil has a chance to get on the clutch plates. On my rack mount the hole is located near the top of the raised portion of the gearbox or to the left in this picture.

What is not explained clearly here is how much oil makes an oil bath - obviously not the 5 fluid oz (or 142 ml for those in the rest of the world outside of the US). Why the 5 fluid oz? Is it to squirt at the centrifugal clutch? As this thread progresses it becomes clear that the wet gearbox idea is pretty problematic. It is difficult to draw conslusions from this thread and it's almost impossible to glean how much oil is an oil bath in the Grubee Gearbox. And what exactly is the 5 oz for?

Irish.. The main difference is..

The Main difference is the crank is different for the Titan Carrier Kit. You can not take the Gear box from the Grubee or any other of that type and put it on a Titan engine. The Cranks are totally Different. They are not the same engines at all. They may look the same at a glance. But they are different. Enjoy the ride..

The Main difference is the crank is different for the Titan Carrier Kit. You can not take the Gear box from the Grubee or any other of that type and put it on a Titan engine. The Cranks are totally Different. They are not the same engines at all. They may look the same at a glance. But they are different. Enjoy the ride..

Roger, good buddy I copy.
Hurry up and get your frame mounts so I can buy one. Anything has to be smarter than the Grubee gear box - it's engager mechanism is very poorly thought out in the design process. Given 3 hours on a sketch pad I could make it work like a gearbox should. I hope that your stuff is made in USA from good steel.

All the Grubee needs is hypoid gears and eliminate or reverse the engager....but hypoid gears are a pretty big change.

All the Grubee needs is hypoid gears and eliminate or reverse the engager....but hypoid gears are a pretty big change.

Wouldn't Helical Gears be just as good? Do hypoid gears eliminate axial thrust or something?

Back