Centrifugal clutch burn

Screenshot_20240311-011236.png

That's one of the worst transmission there is. It's has a 3\1 reduction and what looks like a 14t drive sprocket. Which means your total reduction is only 9.43\1. For level ground at your weight the total reduction should be at least 18\1. With that transmission setup you're going to burn up the higher grade clutch as well. The only way to make it work for level ground is to put a 10t sprocket on it and a 60t sprocket in the rear for a top speed of 28 mph on 26" wheels.

I hate to break this news to you but large people, steep hills, and small engines means you need gears. I live in the mountains and weigh 240 lbs. The clutch in my 4 stroke transmission is 14 years old and still going strong. I have a shifter bike. The reduction range is 66.79\1 to 16.25\1; which is the widest reduction range in forum history. I also do my shifting using a tachometer.

The good news is I can help you build a shifter bike. The bad news, it isn't cheap to build them.

What size rear gear will I need
With that particular transmission you'd need a 10t sprocket on it and a 60t sprocket in the rear; which would give you a total reduction of 18\1. This would only be good for level ground though.

For going up small hills you're going to need a total reduction around 30\1.

Back