Carter N Carb Differences

Nisky1

Local time
2:47 AM
I am restoring a 1948 J-Motor Whizzer. It has a Carter-N 704S carb. As we know carbs are hard to come by, but I did find a 703S and a 705S available to purchase. Does anyone know the differences between these and whether or not they are interchangeable (with or without mod)?? Thanks.

I am restoring a 1948 J-Motor Whizzer. It has a Carter-N 704S carb. As we know carbs are hard to come by, but I did find a 703S and a 705S available to purchase. Does anyone know the differences between these and whether or not they are interchangeable (with or without mod)?? Thanks.
The guys that will know will be @mason_man, @Risk Man, and @Wrench...They all own Whizzers of all descriptions...lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3902.JPG
    IMG_3902.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 61
See the attached article by Quenton G. It explains the Carter Carb. Good luck and "have fun" :)
Thanks Risk-Man, this is helpful. Still hoping to resurrect the existing Carter-N 704S that I have. The float is compromised but the bowl seems OK. Still looking for how interchangeable a 704-S with a 703S or a 705S, Any thoughts?

Here is a picture of my (sold it back in march)1948 with Carter N (703S) which is the original with the fuel line screwed into the top.

And a source for a universal rebuild kit.

So, when you say the 703S is the original for a '48, might that mean that over time, my '48 graduated from a 703S to a 704S which is has now? This WHizzer has over 10k miles on it and endured/enjoyed a cross-country trip in 1948 by my dad. I wrote a book about the whole trip using his slides and diary of the trip. Pretty amazing journey. Pretty much everything broke at least once duing that trip. Wondering if he upgraded the carb at some point. Looking to restore the bike to running condition and take the same trip he did (maybe on the bike....or maybe not)

Check this thread:

Back