Bucking bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You've just confused Frankenstein by getting the names of parts wrong so he was advising you about a job you're not actually doing.

I think maybe you lost the woodruff key from under your drive sprocket.

Yes I believe you are correct sorry for this I do not know much about these things in general . So I will start again.

I have taken the drive sprocket off to file it down as the chain was jumping and jamming in the drive sprocket. After I put the drive sprocket back on along with the small washer that was there, I tightened it down again with a ratchet . And now the small pin (or bar) that the clutch arm pushes in is sticking out a bit more. The bike will roll with out much resistance .

If I lost this woodruff Key which is possible I did not see anything fall when I took these things off, what does it look like and where does it go so I get it back together correctly.

Thank you for clarifying my issue.

Frankenstein is perpetually confused, only sometimes proper grammar and non-blurry photos tends to make the squiggly lines easier to understand.

Indeed

Sorry for the lack of correct terminology , thanks for trying

It's a lot easier with a magnet.. I presume. I haven't had to find one on the floor bit I presume that it's magnetic. It's a "half moon woodruff key" Google images is probably good here.
I'm only guessing that is why the drive sprocket spins on the shaft. I don't know if this can cause the bucking bar to be protruding more than before. I have never tightened the drive sprocket on without the key in place.
There is a slot in the shaft and a corresponding one in the sprocket. The key goes into both, locking the sprocket and shaft together so it stops the sprocket from rotating on the shaft. It is meant to break if something (like the chain) jams so that the engine is not damaged.

Last edited:
Yes I believe you are correct sorry for this I do not know much about these things in general . So I will start again.

I have taken the drive sprocket off to file it down as the chain was jumping and jamming in the drive sprocket. After I put the drive sprocket back on along with the small washer that was there, I tightened it down again with a ratchet . And now the small pin (or bar) that the clutch arm pushes in is sticking out a bit more. The bike will roll with out much resistance .

If I lost this woodruff Key which is possible I did not see anything fall when I took these things off, what does it look like and where does it go so I get it back together correctly.

Thank you for clarifying my issue.

Ok small update, the only reference to woodruff key I found was on the gears on the opposite side of engine where the clutch pads are, it shows it in the small gear. Are you reffering to this one? As I have not taken that Side off at all. Or is there also one on the drive sprocket side as well?

Ok small update, the only reference to woodruff key I found was on the gears on the opposite side of engine where the clutch pads are, it shows it in the small gear. Are you reffering to this one? As I have not taken that Side off at all. Or is there also one on the drive sprocket side as well?
Yes there is, or there should be. If the chain jammed in use, and woodruff key wasn't being used in this position you would probably get a cracked crankcase.. so it definitely has one, or had one. Unfortunately it is small and black and dense enough to bounce under the couch.

It's a lot easier with a magnet.. I presume. I haven't had to find one on the floor bit I presume that it's magnetic. It's a "half moon woodruff key" Google images is probably good here.
I'm only guessing that is why the drive sprocket spins on the shaft. I don't know if this can cause the bucking bar to be protruding more than before. I have never tightened the drive sprocket on without the key in place.
There is a slot in the shaft and a corresponding one in the sprocket. The key goes into both, locking the sprocket and shaft together so it stops the sprocket from rotating on the shaft. It is meant to break if something (like the chain) jams so that the engine is not damaged.

Ok I just saw this after I responded again, yes I did noticed a small slot in the drive sprocket, and thought it to have a purpose. I will look on the shaft as well for the corresponding slot. Fortunately I was in a I closed area when doing this work so it must be there somewhere. Now I know a little more about how this things works . I see it serves a very purposeful function, makes sense.

I will find it and attempt to reinstall again tomorrow
You guys are very knowledgable thanks for the feedback

Ok let me see if I have this correctly. While I tighten down the flower nut (which is the small sprocket) I need to have the clutch engaged. Is this correct? (I guess I did not know the correct way to state if clutch handle is pulled in. ) if this is what needs to be done.

so how can I engage the clutch with the clutch plate off and the pin out. As I have a socket over the nut tighting down the flower nut? I also noticed as was stated in a previous post that my clutch (pin ) I guess it is called the little metal bar that the clutch arm pushes on when assembled, well that part is now sticking out farther then it was before I disassembled the sprocket. Before it almost sat flush with the whole it was in, a little out .

Maybe I am not understanding you correctly please tell me

It sounds like I am not tightening down the flower nut enough, yet I am jamming a screw driver between the sprocket shaft while I torque the nut down with a ratchet.

Thanks for your input
to clear this part up:
  • ENGAGED = motor and wheel are connected & turn together = NOT pulling clutch lever
  • DISENGAGED = motor linkage separated from wheel; both can spin independently = clutch lever pulled in

to clear this part up:
  • ENGAGED = motor and wheel are connected & turn together = NOT pulling clutch lever
  • DISENGAGED = motor linkage separated from wheel; both can spin independently = clutch lever pulled in

Thanks for clearing this up, I like the way you summed it up . I did indeed have it complelty backwards

Thanks for clearing this up, I like the way you summed it up . I did indeed have it complelty backwards
thanks

I always used to get it wrong too, cuz I'd think of it like "engage" the lever out of its rest state, but really you should think of the motor drive, & whether it's engaged in terms of influencing vehicle motion thru the wheel ( singular in our case : )

Last edited:
Ok I just saw this after I responded again, yes I did noticed a small slot in the drive sprocket, and thought it to have a purpose. I will look on the shaft as well for the corresponding slot. Fortunately I was in a I closed area when doing this work so it must be there somewhere. Now I know a little more about how this things works . I see it serves a very purposeful function, makes sense.

I will find it and attempt to reinstall again tomorrow
You guys are very knowledgable thanks for the feedback

Well you were exactly right, it was the woodruff key, and wow that things is tiny, I did use a magnet to find it so it is magnetic. Once I got it it took me about 1/2 hour to get it in, not sure if there is a certain way one is suppose to put it in, I just put the proper end in the drive shaft, then put the drive sprocket over it, was. A bit difficult to line up being so small. Then I just put the nut on and and tightened it down,

Went for the first short ride with everything working properly, wow was nice and much fun.

I was curious about a few things though; One was the small washer that goes on the drive shaft before the nut, I am assuming that it acts like a lock washer , so I put the end that was more protruding toward the nut I hope that is correct?

I also was wondering if either I am not doing something right or there is a better way to get the nut tightened enough on the derive sprocket?

I just jamm a screw driver in one side and ratchet it down the best I can, as far as the bucking bar sticking out more, it did not seem to matter after I tightened everything down, I just adjusted the clutch and all worked, I did notice after the short ride, I still need to tighten the clucth some more, I am doing this just at the clutch Bar And pulling out the cable farther to get a more snug cable.

The other thing was I have been using the spark plug remover tool that comes with kit to turn the drive sprocket while feeding the chain back on. And now after a few turns the nut that goes over the drive sprocket started to loosen, so I had to re-tighten it about five times durning this process. Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to achieve this when needing to take chain off and put it back on?

I did tighten the nut fairly tight but it does not seem to be as tight as how it came on.

One of the main issues I have had. Among others Was the chain jamming up in the sprocket cover , I have done what others mention that say it will take care of this. One is oiling the chain I did soak it in motor oil. And also filing the sprocket down on the edges. At this point it is running great , much better then before I had done this., Very smooth etc. I for sure would not like to experience the lock up of my tire again.

So lastly I wanted to get your thoughts and others on wheather the anti chain lock part that is on eBay is worth purchasing ? These kits are a work in progress I guess. But work great if one just takes the time to work on the quirks .

Don't know if you are familiar with this part, it is just a small picce of machined metal that bolts inside the clutch cover above the chain , it looks like it is drilled from the side facing out through the crank case and has a nylon nut on the other side. They claim it prevents the chain from every getting jammed, or jumping a sprocket again. It does looke as though it would limit the space for the chain to do this.

Has anyone used this that can attest to its usefulness , or have any thoughts on its functionality?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back