are two strokes better than four strokes

Depends

I believe they have more power per displacement.

Cost ( Imma assume we're talking about cg engines) 2 smokes are generally a bit less for a decent one.

People say that 2 strokes need a lot more maintenance but I think that's very debatable.

A regular 2t bike engine is about as simple as motorcycle engines get.

Heres what it comes down to: Make sure you get a good engine (of whichever type you pick), BUT more importantly a good, sturdy bike with good brakes. If you wanna go fast, you gotta be able to stop fast.

--my 2c.

You will get 100 opinions and all of them different.

Each type of build has positives and negatives.

The simple list for most people to consider.

The 2 strokes require a little more time and effort during break in. If you cheap out on things it can greatly affect reliability. The more quality control you do as a builder, the better the end result will be. In terms of power density - HP per pound of weight and engine size, a 2 stroke can greatly outclass a similar sized 4 stroke but a lot of that also comes down to being able to port and build it to get it there. Out of the box, size for size, most of the engines are about the same. Engines like the Phantom 85 and BT100 offer 5-6hp and about the same torque out of the box, but are also 2 to 3 times the price of a basic 2 stroke engine, which often makes 2-3hp at best. All of the 2 stroke engines are passive cooled, which means they rely on the bike being in motion to cool, and can potentially have limited riding range before needing a shutdown depending on how your bike is geared, the environment, air temps, etc. This greatly varies depending on your bike setup, the engine itself, etc. so there is no one size fits all answer for this. Top speeds vary a lot as well, depending on the engine and the gearing chosen. 20-45mph will cover the range of most kits (even 50mph for a couple).

The 49cc 4 stroke kits are a bit heavier and larger in size. They usually require wider cranks. They make their 2-3hp happily and have forced cooling so overheating isn't really a concern. You don't have to worry about mixing oil with your gas, etc. They are capable of about 25-30mph for a top speed and can sit there all day.

In either case there are setup and tuning concerns to address. Both kits often require some tweaking or upgrading of various parts.

For pure "set it and forget it" commuter duty, I would say the basic 4 stroke kit would likely make most people happy. Least amount of fussing around and tinkering. With some experience, the 2 strokes can also be great for commuting as well. The real issue with the 2 strokes is that people often buy the cheapest engines they can hoping to save a little money, but end up worse off than if they would have just bought the more expensive engine that offered everything they needed right out of the box.

Back