a question on fillers.

filler neck

I looked all over but I couldnt find a new one about the same diameter. the regular motorcycle ones are a much bigger diameter and way to big for my tank and cost quite a bit

One thing you can do is to extend the filler neck. you could turn a piece of tubing down and have it fit inside the neck.

I almost went the motocross route with a cap with a vent and tube in it running into the fork or something. then you can use pretty much anything you want for a cap and do it pretty cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 231
Thanks Toxicmammoth,
I think Mike had the right Idea for the tank I'm building right now.The garden hose parts are just the right size,and cheap enough.I need alittle smaller neck,because the tank is round.I probably will have to extend the fill neck though.Or run it at a steeper angle,and with the short neck may look funny.It could also be a problem to fill even with a gas can.
Rod

Louis,
Were did you get the tank straps.Did you make them? Those look great,and way better than the conduit straps I used.
Rod

Rod,I made the straps out of aluminum 1/8 by 1 inch,my filler neck on m/b#1 is 1 inch tubing about 3 inches long. louis

gas venting

Hi, sorry, I missed your post Dan, I do not have venting problems with the 08 neck.

The pipe has tapered threads, and since I only hand tighten, I seem to never get the cap fully tight enuf to stop the venting action. BUT, my tanks are 14 GA steek tubing, and that stuff will not "suck-in" if I have a vacuum develop, tho it's never happened, as my engine has never starved out.

My idea was to take a dremel and "slice" a single run across the threads from top to bottom, and this would alow enuf air. I do not like hole on top of the cap as it can take in water, and I have had that problem already. This has not been necessary.

I'm anxious to see what the new tanks will look like, as the guys in fab say you will not see any seams.

Mike

Mike spill,
Were did you get the square tube at?The tank I'm working on is made of round tube,and it was realy hard to get in 3 1/2" dia.I thought it would save me some time,and it realy did help out alot.
My first tank was made of 7 different panels,and was a pain to seal.The led has held togeither very well.I was going to brase the next one,but this could change everything on my builds.Rod

Steel Tubing

Hi Rod, I looked all over hellshalfacre to find tubing for my tanks!
I finally discovered that Commercial Wrought Iron fencing guys (who are NOT using wrought iron), and found that commercial corner post is available in 20' sticks. NOW do not make the mistake I first made. Fab guy shaped it, all hunkey-dory, and then I put in gas, and it weeped out all over from the bottom of the tank. That tubing is kinda hot "fused" together and the bottom seam should be welded alonf that run.

This crazy stuff is cold-rolled and makes very nice tanks.

Mike

Thanks Mike,
That should help alot for future builds.It might be almost imposible to find here though.I seem to remember that a company here a couple of years ago sold several different sizes of square tubing.Even rectangler tubes for trailer frames.That might be my best place to start.There are a couple of other places I can check,but both are about 2 hours away.Still thanks mike the idea is very sound.
There are alot of times I wish I had never left California.This will be one I'm sure.Short 30 min. drive there,and I would have a 20' piece to play with.
Rod

Back