12v lighting & safety system project-an MBc Community Effort

Ah, I love ya Aug. I won't mess with your project . I'm very interested though cause I too need to atract more attention and avoid being run over by the bone crushers with 4 wheels. I almost bought the farm last nite when a massive diesel p/up cut right in front of me when he took a left turn and didn't see me. Man my heart is still fluttering when I think about it. My other broblem is that to get to town I must drive right thru the industrial park with the big rigs and they don't see me at all. I think I need to carry a flare gun and wave a flag . I still need one of those loud horns I've been saving up for............. Slice ,.,.,. T

it's all good, try', i'm trying to perfect this system for guys like you who recognize the need for overkill when it comes to lights :)

an electric horn is on my wish-list for the completed system.

i had to recharge because i didn't want to get caught in the rain with a dim light...so i started today with 13.30V

only 4 miles today, too rainy for a pleasure-ride, but i was more than willing to go to the post-office to pick up my new front drum (i was given my proper turn at the 4-way stop sign, in the rain, another SCORE for the new headlight)...more about the wheel later and elsewhere :cool:

extremely...but because it's a soft flood with side-lighting, it never does the "focused-high-beam" thing to oncoming drivers. it looks more like a mega-LED, from any direction. i have it pointed down quite a bit because the brighter areas are the edges...this gives me light-ahead for 30+mph & i'm riding in a pool of light, which silhouettes my hand signals for anyone behind me...all in all i'm very pleased.

here's the best report i could make: all day yesterday...maybe 50 miles all told, 28 mph top speed for me...got home last night with a barely dimming light. i love this thing, here's my new battery bracket...aluminum strapping inside inner-tube.

Attachments

• MVC-769F.JPG
    MVC-769F.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 384
I was impressed with not only the longevity of this system, but also with how dang bright it really is!!!
Good work on that man. I think many of our members will benefit from this thread and therefore being safer out there amongst the caged monkeys...
Good on ya' for this one, it is a great leap foward in the motoredbike construction/safety requirements.

augi, l had this setup along time ago, and posted pics of my lighting system.
12v 7amp battery
12v 20watt halogen light bulb(imo the 55w and 35w are too much of a draw on the battery)
basic on/off switch
good lighting system, you will be able to see everything in front of you.
the only bad thing about this setup is, once you have a short, there goes the whole system. im still working on something better.

matter of fact, we were talking about your system down in the commuting section...my goal here is to show the how-to details because i think folks have to start taking lighting seriously if they're gonna claim their right to the road :cool:

i've kept this version simple so that shorts shouldn't be a problem. all day in the rain without a hitch :)

Back