12v lighting & safety system project-an MBc Community Effort

i have mine also, but i'm a bit busy...i showed it to don and we agree that a small belt-driven jackshaft to a roller on the rear wheel will work :)

thanks, vinnie...i love new toys :)

papasaun, be prepared for some electric-nooby questions :rolleyes:

abeagle: What does the 24 volt gen. put out at 500 to 600 rpms, maybe enough to swap out the 12v for the 24v.
at this time l havent tried spinning the 24v with a drill,but that is a good idea to swap out, thanks
Papasaun: Did you try one of those 24 volt motors to see if they put out 12 volts at a slower RPM?
will check tonight, if l get time. your welcome for the motor, l hope you get it work!!!
as for me l purchased a jackshaft and hope that l can get a vaccum belt system to work, azkronic is is helping me out with the ratio calculations.
need to weld a mount on to the bike, other than that it should be pretty simple. here's the link to the jackshaft: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380002167615&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
vinnie, i know you'd like to hear about progress on the charging...but this is just kind of a review of the sla-based sytem in general, since i had to do this today anyway.

i had the battery/headlight/tallight removed from sabrina and completely re-installed on the diamondback in about an hour, very universal. btw-the taillight is a $3 trailer marker, seems like about 10W. this system with an ac-charger would cost you about $65, and it gives you an easy 3+ hours of motor-vehicle-quality lighting on a full charge.

Attachments

• Mvc-123f.jpg
    Mvc-123f.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Mvc-121f.jpg
    Mvc-121f.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 350
augi, l know you are very busy with different projects, l just hope that the motor, will help us with longer run times. that would be awsome, BTW l am going to use your vaccum belt idea, l don't think of it as stealing, it's just a good idea that l can use on my bike. everyone idea's and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!! you guys are great!

this is a community effort, and there's no way anyone can steal these ideas because we're givin' 'em away!

:cool:

Seems like this thread died out a couple of weeks ago. Did anyone ever find out if that 24v motor had enough low RPM output? How did the jackshaft vacuum belt project work out? Got to the last post and was kind of left hanging. Where's the end of the story? :) Anyway, I'm very new to this, and I have little/no experience with how electronics work, but can you use any electric motor as a generator? Augi, are your lights still working? Any more problems, or is it all finished?

since you asked...

this very simple system is outstanding...these are automotive-quality lights. he "harness" concept makes it very universal...with a few zip-ties i have it on (or off with some cutters) a bike in a matter of minutes. choose your wattage based on the amount of runtime you need, then remember to plug in the charger when ya get there...this setup (w/charger) can be slapped together for under $60 :cool:

imho, and i have many humble (and more than a few not-so-humble) miles behind me now, anyone going 30mph on a bicycle should be sporting this setup as a minimum.

Attachments

• MVC-206F.JPG
    MVC-206F.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I've been riding around town with my new XR75 just for fun and break in. I noticed with my full head/tail/brake lighting system cars treat me with a ton more respect on the road. They take longer to pass, pass more slowly, and give me much more room than they used to on my stingray or on pedal bikes. These lights rock! I would suggest anybody get a relatively cheap and easy 12v setup. For anybody in New Hampshire who wishes to register as a moped they are REQUIRED equipment anyways.

this very simple system is outstanding...these are automotive-quality lights. he "harness" concept makes it very universal...with a few zip-ties i have it on (or off with some cutters) a bike in a matter of minutes. choose your wattage based on the amount of runtime you need, then remember to plug in the charger when ya get there...this setup (w/charger) can be slapped together for under $60 :cool:

imho, and i have many humble (and more than a few not-so-humble) miles behind me now, anyone going 30mph on a bicycle should be sporting this setup as a minimum.

Hi augidog... great system. I have been reading this thread with much delight. I will eventually try this myself. For right now I'm still waiting for my first kit to get here but after I get it I will be looking to setup a light kit like the one you propose. I can't remember if you discussed this in the thread or not, but did you ever try the 24v battery? I know that it was mentioned by some people.. just don't know if it was you. Thanks to you and everyone else for their hard work in this project. It will help people like me... you know, the dumb ones! hehe.... really thanks everyone

Back