Carby carb problems

heres another question, since i put the new carb on, the motor has a harder time starting. i think its because the carb is new, but i dont know. if i just try to start it, it acts like it dosent get enough gas so i have to hold the throttle down while peddling for a little bit untill it gets going, than i can let it continue to warm up with the clutch in. but if i dont hold the throttle for a little bit it just bogs down and dies. is it because its a new carb or is something wrong? it was doing the same thing before the gasket went missing. and useing the choke makes it worse.

"hold the throttle down"?
if choking it (ie: obstructing the intake) makes it worse then it is too rich.
make sure the float is set to the correct level because if the fuel level in the bowl is too high then that would make it too rich.
the trouble with those Dellorto SHA carbs is that they don't have an idle jet that you can change.
also, if the air filter is too restrictive then that would make the mixture too rich. take off the filter and see how it runs.

would you happen to have a link to somewhere that would explain how to check and adjust the float level? im learning as i go

take the float bowl off and hold the carb upside down.
the float should be perpendicular to the mating surface of the bowl.

if it is NT style carb, turn it upside down and look at hole in float - main jet just peeking up thru hole is normal - leaner is main just barely hidden in hole, and richer is main sticking up a bit

image.jpg
hopefully that picture is there when i hit post. this is what i have when i took off the float bowl. its upside down. what should i adjust?

can anyone tell me what to adjust? the brass looking part is as tight as it can be, and it sticks up, maybe 1/4". other than thet i dont see anything that can be adjusted. its pretty loose once its loose.

i pretty sure its the exhaust thats causing the problems. i went to take the cap off and check out the exhaust to see if there was stuff in there, but the screw wasnt doing anything. it was liturally just there for looks. took it off and now it starts up and pretty much runs better over all.

That copper piece is your fuel jet. For a stock motor you need a 65 mm for that carb. You can't adjust anything except Change the jet. That pin let's the bowl move up and down, it's a hinge. If it don't move and "float" the carb floods with fuel or starves and won't work.i have a carb like it and it sucks.

It has a metal tang that the float rides on; bend it with needlenose pliers to adjust the float height. The picture shows it to be about right. Another thing to check would be the throttle cable, take all the slack out (lengthen) then the idle screw will need to be re-adjusted. If that don't fix it, it's probably jetted too rich. Rolling2High recommends #65 jet, but that depends on altitude. The higher the altitude, the leaner the jet.

Back