Why do we call an ENGINE a MOTOR?

On a side note, both combustion engines and electric motors convert existing energy into motion. There's already potential energy in the fuel just like there is in a motor's wires. It's not just creating energy out of nowhere

On a side note, both combustion engines and electric motors convert existing energy into motion. There's already potential energy in the fuel just like there is in a motor's wires. It's not just creating energy out of nowhere

There is zero stored potential energy in a motor's wires.

A wood baseball bat has stored potential energy because you can burn it as fuel.

My how far will this go.What is it about motor bike web sites?I have never been to sites like these, where
no matter the topic some just have to have the last word.

Fly

Motor, motor, motor, motor, end of discussion!

Does Harley Davidson share your opinion?

How about Honda?

No motorcycle has changed the concept of touring like the Honda Gold Wing. A horizontally opposed engine offering power, performance, and perfect smoothness. Shaft final drive. A chassis designed for day-long comfort. And over the last four decades, the Gold Wing has just gotten better and better, and touring riders have had it better and better too—full-coverage bodywork, bigger engines, more cylinders, better chassis, more power, integrated luggage.

When was the last time you saw a horizontally opposed motor?

Last time I popped the hood on a soobie 2.5 boxer motor. Next question........................................

Subaru does not agree with you:

SUBARU BOXER® Engine. Flat. Smooth. Smart.

Drawn from a century of intelligent performance, the horizontal layout of the SUBARU BOXER® engine combines balance with power and efficiency. And every Subaru comes with a SUBARU BOXER® engine.

Next question: When was the last time you saw a horizontally opposed electric motor?

Motor, motor, motor, motor, end of discussion! NOT!

Engine, engine, engine, engine, end of discussion!

Alright your bringing out the big guns now. How about NASCAR naming their tracks motor speedways and not engine speedway? Think they might know a little about the correct terminology to call their sport? Maybe a billion $ sport. Wassup holmes?

Back