What do you think of electric bikes?

Eh, only 217 years ago batteries were nothing more than wet paper and pennies stacked together and weren't even that reliable. Now we can fit a 12 volt battery that weighs a single pound in half the space and has several hundred amps available to use on just about anything...

The technology is getting better, even lithium ion cells today are ages more advanced than what we had just in the early 2000s. Also it's not just the batteries that need improvement, an electric motor still suffers loss and can be improved along with gear boxes and all that crap. Let's not forget that we don't even have to use lithium ion, chances are with the huge diversity of chemistry we'll simply figure out a new type of battery that stores energy better than what we have now. Honestly we figured out how to freeze light particles and turned helium gas into metal, I don't doubt we have more discoveries to make.

aye, aye but what he is suggesting with this new solid-state glass lithium battery, and im not sure if he is just being grandiose, is ultimately THE solution to the problems with electric vehicles - range and charge time. with 3x the range that is like 300-600 miles for Teslas and 180-300 for the electric motorcycles and couple that with charge time of minutes instead of hours. i mean with that why would you buy a gas vehicle anymore.

the thing is that he is the founder of lithium batteries so it is hard to say that it might be a gimmick or exaggerations... oh, and in addition, he saids the battery cycle life has also increased.

here is a video about it. i guess only time will tell...

Very cool actually, and a battery that lasts 3 times as long can be 3 times as small and still get it done.

This will be me in the future I guess...
y2aD0or.gif

I have heard this story so many times ONCE it would be nice if it were true!I dont like when right off the drawing board they make it out to be a miracle cell! They hype it up good and make the price outrageus or even unabtainable to the masses or the military scoops them up for drones and s**t lol!I have been using li-po cells in my ebike builds and they are great for getting alot of power(amprage) out of for their size but not really consumer freindly.They require a balencing charger and a good power supply as the cells or packs dont come with a bms though one could be added but again that adds to the cost witch is the most prohibitive vs the heavy standard cheap cells! My first version of the electric chopper I use was 48v but with a 60 amp controler the motor would only pull 35-40 amps at the very most so good buffer zone the batteries how ever are capable of 200 amp continuos or 40c or 325 burst at65c so pulling 20 amps constant doesn't even make them work hard at all and I get 800 + cycles out of them before they puff out!

Attachments

• li-po cells.jpg
    li-po cells.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 215
Kinda sure the original generation of li-ion were hyped up miracles (which they kind of were, given everything that benefited from them) and were rather expensive and at first really only had military backing... Along with GPS, carbon fiber, ni-cad batteries.... You know the drift.

Hey soon you might even have 120v drive batteries for 120v e bike systems. Certainly a 3 times smaller battery for the same juice could be stacked 3 times to fill the same space as a 48v unit.

Think this is crazy now they have figured out gene editing rather well. It's to point where in the near future you could get a simple injection and the cure would seek out only cancerous cells, and then manipulate the DNA in a way that simply prevents the cell from splitting any further, and the cell simply ages and dies without causing any more harm to the person. Cancer cured.

Honestly couldn't care less if the batteries are a hoax, there's much much more on the horizon that would outshine them regardless in terms of amazing.

They require a balencing charger and a good power supply as the cells or packs dont come with a bms.
It's just silly to buy a LI battery pack without a Battery Management System (BMS) in it.
Good chargers know when quit charging with a BMS battery pack.

It's just silly to buy a LI battery pack without a Battery Management System (BMS) in it.
Like people who buy li-ion car batteries that require a separate bms to maintain them, but don't know about it and end up with fireworks...

The hobby industry has the highest use of li-po cells and packs but you will never see a bms on any of the battery packs!The bms used on ebike batteries doesn't really work right for getting the most life or cycles from the pack!The hobby guys use a balencing charger that monitors each cell in the pack individualy,The bms used on ebike battery packs monitors the whole pole, regardless of how many cells in each pole it cant read a seperate cell in a row of 5-8 or however many when the pole reads 3.7-4.2v!So in the case of my current battery pack it's 15s-3p that means it's 60 v 15 amp hours configured as 15 cells in series and in parallel rows of 3 and if i were to use a bms 30 of the packs cells are not properly monitored!The bms needed for a pack that size is around 50-60 bucks and the charger is another 80 or so!A good balencing charger and a suited power supply costs about the same maybe a little less but then it will do so much more as it will charge any type of rechargable cell regardles of compisition and yeild the most cycles from a battery pack!

The hobby industry has the highest use of li-po cells and packs but you will never see a bms on any of the battery packs!The bms used on ebike batteries doesn't really work right for getting the most life or cycles from the pack!The hobby guys use a balencing charger that monitors each cell in the pack individualy,The bms used on ebike battery packs monitors the whole pole, regardless of how many cells in each pole it cant read a seperate cell in a row of 5-8 or however many when the pole reads 3.7-4.2v!So in the case of my current battery pack it's 15s-3p that means it's 60 v 15 amp hours configured as 15 cells in series and in parallel rows of 3 and if i were to use a bms 30 of the packs cells are not properly monitored!The bms needed for a pack that size is around 50-60 bucks and the charger is another 80 or so!A good balencing charger and a suited power supply costs about the same maybe a little less but then it will do so much more as it will charge any type of rechargable cell regardles of compisition and yeild the most cycles from a battery pack!
I don't think you know what you're saying... You're saying that every single li-whatever battery pack with on board bms was installed with a bad bms?

No that doesn't make sense, you really mustn't know what you're talking about. I've seen plenty of models with perfectly good on board bms, recently I've been looking into this nice li-ion motorcycle starter battery, with of course built in management system and even a nice led charge level indicator. No body apparently having problems there...

Certainly many of the cheap Chinese knockoffs will have some problems with battery management but what do you expect from them when the whole idea was to go cheap. Some good Indian or Korean brand batteries would ultimately have some really good on board managing systems but you aren't going to get it for under 500 bucks either...

Many many reasons why I just won't go with the reliable brands of electric bike components, they are out of my comfort zone for price when this is just a hobby. Gasoline is a much better pick for me, and fun.

I don't think you know what you're saying... You're saying that every single li-whatever battery pack with on board bms was installed with a bad bms?

No that doesn't make sense, you really mustn't know what you're talking about. I've seen plenty of models with perfectly good on board bms, recently I've been looking into this nice li-ion motorcycle starter battery, with of course built in management system and even a nice led charge level indicator. No body apparently having problems there...

Certainly many of the cheap Chinese knockoffs will have some problems with battery management but what do you expect from them when the whole idea was to go cheap. Some good Indian or Korean brand batteries would ultimately have some really good on board managing systems but you aren't going to get it for under 500 bucks either...

Many many reasons why I just won't go with the reliable brands of electric bike components, they are out of my comfort zone for price when this is just a hobby. Gasoline is a much better pick for me, and fun.
What I am saying is That a bms does NOT moniter each individual cell only a proper balancing charger does that!The biggest bms out there for ebike packs only really moniters 24 cells in series all the cells that follow the first 24 in parallel are seen as one cell look it up!I know full well what I am talking about I build custom packs quite regularly and some pretty wild ones remember the 100v 100a system I told you about before!Not to many people out there willing to go to those extrems and those who will dont have many choices but go to a custom builder!

Back