'The Beast' Reborn

lowracer

Local time
10:29 AM
I recently acquired a slightly used Tanaka 47r & decided to mount it to a Dax friction drive w/1.5" roller.
After riding it now for roughly 150 miles, I can say that the 47r is a bit more powerful everywhere compared to my other trusty steed powered by a Tanaka 40cc. Fuel economy with the 47r is alot worse but then again I'm moving faster or accelerating harder most of the time.
I only have positive things to say about the quality of any of my Tanaka's (I have a 32cc a 40cc & 47cc).
Here's a pic of the latest version of 'The Beast'.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• The Beast Reborn.jpg
    The Beast Reborn.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 902
I'm thinking about adding a huge ATV fairing to this bike for winter riding. The ATV fairing is 35" wide to fully cover my hands & 20" tall to block the torso & head. Has anyone added something like this to a bicycle before? I'm wondering if the handlebars will fight me going 45 mph?
-Lowracer-

atv-windshield-6.jpg

Attachments

• atv windshield.jpg
    atv windshield.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
I did some speed testing today with 'The Beast' powered by the Tanaka 47r.
First I hooked up my trusty tachometer with 2 zip ties to the steerer stem & wrapped the tach wire around the spark plug wire 6 times & fastened it with black electrical tape.
I went back and forth over a 1/4 mile stretch 4 times to get a varied sample size due to wind conditions (level ground at sea level here in the lowcountry).
At max rpm I saw 9300rpm for a bit before I had to get off the gas for my turn.
I probably could have gotten a few more rpm's given more distance &/or by getting my body more aero...
I'm running a Dax friction drive 1.5" roller so that equals 41.5 mph.
I'm very happy with that.
I have a new poo-poo pipe coming in the mail & I'll order that windshield to see how both affect max rpm & speeds as well as sound & cold weather protection.
-lowracer-

I did some more research on windshields for motorcycles & ATV's.
There is a difference in shield material.
The pic of the one I posted is made out of Acrylic & others are made out of Polycarbonate (Lexan). Looks like acrylic breaks into many sharp pieces when struck & Polycarbonate maintains its integrity. I will avoid the acrylic even though a bicycle isnt traveling as fast as a motorcycle.
I found another model that I like made out of Polycarbonate.
Tell me what you think of this one?
-lowracer-

Attachments

• Quadboss fairing.jpg
    Quadboss fairing.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 799
I like it! I would get the dimensions and do a cutout with cardboard and see how well it fits. Make sure your not putting an elephant on a horse if you know what I mean.

Darwin,
The widest these windshields get is 36" & that would go just past the width of my handlebars covering my hands.
The middle section is narrower & would cover the rest of my torso. These are 'BIG' fairings & I think you are correct with the Elephant analogy when being fitted to a bicycle. These would be normal looking on a full-sized cruiser motorcycle...
As they say in Texas.....Go Big...lol
-Lowracer-

I relocated my rear flasher today from the seatpost to the top of the rear friction drive strut. The fuel tank blocked the view of the light to cars behind me. I also pulled the spark plug to inspect it for color. Looks like I got the mixture right fiddling with it during the week.
Here are a few pics of how it looks now.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• The Beast Reborn rear view.jpg
    The Beast Reborn rear view.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 810
  • The Beast Reborn side view.jpg
    The Beast Reborn side view.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 829
  • Banshee and Beast Dec 2012.jpg
    Banshee and Beast Dec 2012.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 821
I received & installed the fairing but on a different set of handlebars that I'll be switching onto 'The Beast'. I needed a thinner bar (25.4 vs 31.8) to better match the clamps included in the fairing kit. Its actually the handlebar that came stock on 'The Beast'. The clamps are solid & the position is somewhat adjustable. Here are a few pics on the wrong bike...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• fairing1.jpg
    fairing1.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 766
  • fairing2.jpg
    fairing2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 802
  • fairing3.jpg
    fairing3.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 791
  • fairing4.jpg
    fairing4.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 806
Looks good on the bike. I thought it was going to be too big. You'll have to give us a test drive update, especially how it handles in windy conditions. If it works out great, I might purchase one for my touring bike that I am finally getting back on track.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Here are the latest pics I took this morning after installing an adjustable stem to better raise & lower the fairing & get the fit just right. I still haven't had a chance to take it out for a test ride since its been raining & nasty outside.
I'll play with the height of the fairing some more & the angle of the fairing into the wind.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• fairing1beast.jpg
    fairing1beast.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 784
  • fairing2beast.jpg
    fairing2beast.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 771
  • fairing3beast.jpg
    fairing3beast.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 782
  • fairing4beast.jpg