The 12 volt lighting coil and how to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
coil 006.jpg coil 007.jpg I tried several different lights with the coil that worked well, two powered by the USB power regulator which will also power any three cell flashlight, and one with a motorcycle 32w led h4 bulb in a headlight shell that Baconator 101 mentioned in his thread, a Harbor Freight special. These are pics of the latter.

coil 002.jpg coil 004.jpg Just finished the final testing and adjusting of components and made some measurements and surprise the lighting coil in use actually increased the spark plug voltage from 28thousand volts to 50thousand volts, didn't see that coming. The lighting coil produces AC voltage in the 35 v0lt max range so all components must be rated 35v or greater, it must be rectified to effectively run LEDs a full bridge rectifier is used, it must be isolated from all other circuits because there is some weird interactions with the ignition coil and circuit so the fine coil wire to ground on the lighting coil MUST BE REMOVED FROM GROUND AND SOLDERED TO A INSULATED WIRE THAT WILL GO TO THE RECTIFIER ac input along with the other wire from the lighting coil. I use a 35v 100 uF capacitor on the dc output of the rectifier which helps filter the dc output. From this point you can go two ways, to a USB power regulator to power USB run lights and a battery pack or directly to a motorcycle LED h4 type bulb of low wattage.coil 002.jpg P.S. A load must be maintained on the lighting coil at all times, if it is not powering a bulb or other load it does reduce or stop the ignition circuit, there is some weird electronic mojo going on between the two coils.

Last edited:
machanic; Looks like the winding on your lighting coil is a lot smaller gauge than the winding's on the "mini-gen" I have. (12v).
So you are using a separate wire instead of grounding to case?
The 3 cree LED head lamp is just like the one I'm using. (8.4v) with 6 cell Li-ion battery pack.
Also running a modified brake,tail,turn lamp set up (cheap Chinese bicycle $6 unit). only using the housing and brake light switch.
Need to build a mag coil/loop and charge coil tester something like yours. Just don't have a doner case and crank. If I had the test set up I would be making progress a little faster.
I'm using existing schematics to build on bread board Just don't have a way to test all aspects before designing and etching the PCB for assembly. (To cold to be in my work shed right now anyway)
Hope to have things worked out before riding season.:rolleyes:152.jpg 151.jpg 157.jpg This is one mod on the Tail,brake & turn assembly.:)

The lighting coil I have the wire measures .017 in or 25 gauge I did not know that there were other versions of the lighting coil. I disconnected the ground on the lighting coil because I found that if you leave it connected it reduces or cancels out the output of the ignition coil it is 180 out and on the opposite pole of the magnet and I believe it produces a negative pulse which partially cancels out the output of the ignition coil, without an oscilloscope I can't verify this but in testing it's best to have the ground separated also makes the input to the full Bridge rectifier simpler. I see you went the extra mile on your tail light assembly by itching a circuit board cool stuff.

When I first put the "mini-gen" on, I had to trim a bit so as not to touch the mag rotor. I took it for a test ride and noticed a small loss of power.
There was nothing connected to the wire from the gen. I just try on and fit new parts as I go. Then if I'm not ready with the rest of the add on, I take it back off to use later.
I didn't think about the coil to much until you mentioned possibly canceling the ignition coil, it makes some sense being that the North magnetic field is cutting the ign. coil, while the South magnetic field is cutting the charge coil. Depending on the direction of the winding (cw or ccw) of the charge coil, and being an AC out put of both coils could create a magnetic brake. robbing some very needed HP (maybe?). Also if the out put electrical polarity were backassward of the two coils it might not run at all. (Don't think they would build something like that).
I know with my GT5 Racing, if I just THINK about using the white wire for anything, it would sputter and stall .:eek::rolleyes: The GT5 comes stock with a two wire mag. I had a three wire replacement, now back to two wire mag. I got with the new non-magnetic rotor.
I don't know enough about how the timing works in conjunction with the magnetic field(s) cutting the magneto coil, I understand the theory of creating electricity with magnets and coils, Just not the precision aspect (timing wise).:confused:

I found that with the lighting coil under load and one side to ground the spark voltage was reduced and with both outputs disconnected and not under load the spark was reduced, but with both outputs in circuit under load and not grounded everything was fine and there as an increase in spark voltage.

"both outputs in circuit under load and not grounded everything was fine and there as an increase in spark voltage".I'm kinda lost on what you mean here. The ignition Mag coil NOT grounded?
Doesn't seem like a voltage change would occur to the CDI with the charge coil wires being isolated and not grounded. unless the coils being 180* from each other changes the shape or density (probably wrong word) of the magnetic field.
I thought my loss of power was caused by more drag on the magnet rotor with the second coil (mini-gen) installed, even though I had no load hooked up. I don't know and have no way of testing if I can't get spark.

Both coil ends of the lighting coil in circuit and under load, increased the spark at the plug sounds kind of weird but they are magneticly coupled I think when the lighting coil field collapses it induces some magnetism back into the iron core which strengthens the spark coil output.

Magnetism is strange. I would like to see an animated video on exactly how the magnetic field works on these ignition systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back