"Sun Metal Products-1982" front drum...questions

excellent score there Augi
there's that karma deal again :D
good on ya man !!!

btw... when I came down the mountain (24 miles) at the death race on the deviate (very heavy bike, only the drum for brakes), I never felt any fade at all :eek:
and I was definitely flyin' :LOL:

oh, i hearya, and i also know i'm not the only one gettin' what he gives, bill...bicycle-karma rocks!

and you already know almost exactly half of my traveling is steep downhill. i have to confess now...besides the brake, this wheel itself is gonna make it so i can really get into those downhills, what a treat that's gonna be :)

hey, DougC...is this what you expected to see? is it similar to a worksman? you have a pic?

anyone else have anything similar, or more info & hopefully pics about what they do have?

here is a pdf with blow up of sturmey archer front and rear
I know it's not what you have, but it gives a pic of similar equipment
I am looking for info tho and will keep at it( I am a persistant guy, who knows the info is out there hiding from me :LOL:)

Attachments

• XFD_XRD_Parts_List.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
very similar, only differences being advances in materials i think, thanks.

i have searched and looked at hundreds of bicycle and light motorcycle pics...

i think what i have here is an original "sun metal products inc. 6 82" steel rim (a nice clincher, too) custom-laced to a light motorcycle drum of the era. it has the surface-scarring of sitting around for years, but it is unused, and i believe the whole assembly's authentic period equipment.

i feel like grandma must feel when she finds a neat old saucer and cup to add to her collection, i get good vibes from this wheel & i can't wait to feel the ride :)

Mvc-746f.jpg

i'm speechless with riding joy :D

sorry about the dark pic. tomorrow i'll take some better ones & tell all of the new stuff in one thread, i'm just gonna have to figure out where to put it...i think the GEBE doods are about to have some company over in "Rack'Em" :cool:

My Worksman trike Locks up on the right side but not the left. Also my pull is on the opposite side of the drum as your bottom pull actuator. if it (the actuator arm and adjstr ancor) was mounted on the left it would be in the front of the hub mine only works facing to the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do believe that the right-side mount was intended, the actuator-arm trails backwards, smooth operation...so far, a couple thousand miles have proven the install as correct :cool:

It's from a wheel chair lololololololol
lololol

Sun Metal is a company that is or WAS (not sure if they're still in business) in the town I grew up in, Warsaw Indiana.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't recall hearing anything about them making bicycle or motorcycle wheels...just lots and lots of wheelchairs lolol.

Back