Schwinn Meridian trike with predator 212 Needs hub adapter for the tiny .75inch rear hub

wolvmarine

Local time
3:17 AM
I've replied to a previously created thread but its really old so I was hoping to get fresh eyes on it.

I fab'd a hub adapter from wood with 2 hole saws and some old tire tubes it works for the most part it has too much play and I'd rather have a better more stable adapter. The Fab'd hub fills the space from 1.5 inches to the .75 of the Meridian. I truly thought there would be a 1.5 to .75 out there on the internet some where but I still haven't found it. Also, I've seen these trikes built with a Predator motor but they don't use a chain tensioner I'm not sure what I'm missing?

Isn't the axle keyed in the center? There may be a way to run to freewheels on the axle and not knacker your hub.

In that other thread is all the parts you need to set up the motor on the bike's axle not the hub. The freewheel adapter and the freewheel. You just need the appropriate size gear then.
Got a picture of the center axle where the pedal chain hooks up?

Isn't the axle keyed in the center? There may be a way to run to freewheels on the axle and not knacker your hub.

Not on the LH wheel, only the right is driven by the pedals.

I think you'll be a lot better off replacing the wheel hub. A 212 is going to spin that adapter as soon as you fire it up.

I like the safety wire on the engine mounts, though.

You could use some pipe from the hardware store and cut it in half, i believe 1/2 pipe and 3/4 should make a good adapter

Call Dave at Staton.com bicycle engines and tell him what you have. He can make the part or have it in stock maybe. He deals in trike stuff and can help ya.

Yes, the right side receives power from the pedals and has a "D" shaped key way. The left is a simple free wheel. I didn't want to put a rag joint on to save my spokes. Sadly, my fab'd up reducer had too much play and I've already lost 2 spokes at this time. Oddly, my current weak point is my chain tension system. Just came back from a little ride on the way back it decided to chew up the chain like chewing gum I think the chain is totally done now. I need to get the welder out and get a good amount of lateral tension on that new chain. The nylon wheel on the generic tensioner from Amazon is pretty tuff held on better than I expected.

In that other thread is all the parts you need to set up the motor on the bike's axle not the hub. The freewheel adapter and the freewheel. You just need the appropriate size gear then.
Got a picture of the center axle where the pedal chain hooks up?
Oddly, nuff I didn't, but I like where your going. But, I was trying to keep this sucker as simple as possible. I wanted to hook up a torque converter that mated up perfectly with the 212 but making her work with the trike was way too much work at the time. I pretty much hobbled together the same kit you see over at gasbike:: https://www.gasbike.net/products/gastrike-212cc-trike-engine-kit
They have been sold out for awhile, honestly $360 for the kit is not a bad price, minus the rag joint. I can take a pic tomorrow but the engine mount is specific to this task, ya know. So I'm kind of stuck getting this configuration to work. Just don't know why I can't get these two things readily available?

Eww, I was really hopeful when the page popped up. But, this hub is a itty bitty 0.75 incher and the adapter I have starts at 1.5 and comes with a reducer to 1" so I fab'd the wooden reducer from 1.5 to 0.75. I'll probably buy a hockey puck and use the hole saws to cut the needed adapter. I was also thinking I could have someone 3d print a polycarbonate reducer for me haven't priced them but I might be reaching out to them if my skills on cutting hockey pucks sours.

Guys, this trike runs great when the tensioner is tasked too much. I'll send a utube link once I got her running reliably. Fingers crossed. She should be able to pull off 40+mph if I can get everything snug as a bug.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back