Revving while clutch pulled/Gas Mix pooling on engine...related?

Wrinkley

Local time
2:17 PM
Hey guys, haven't been riding for awhile due to some personal stuff, but was finally able to get back out on the road today and noticed some minor issues. Figured the bike sitting for awhile could be pertinent information.

Firstly, I noticed that when I was pulling the clutch, it would throttle to probably 30%-40%. I could pull the clutch, give throttle, and it would throttle up, but return to that ~30% throttle response.

Secondly, I noticed that gas was pooling on my engine, seems to be dripping from the carb. Is this typical? I know that these are dirty 2-strokes, but didn't know if this is abnormal. My brother-in-law and I put this together and he attached the carb while I was working on something else, and stripped some of the bolts, so I haven't gone back and attempted to fix this since I didn't want to order any additional parts, but I'm thinking that might be best. Can someone please provide some guidance?

Are these two issues potentially related? I was thinking that there could possibly be an air-leak due to a crappy seal on the carb, which is causing both the pooling of the gas as well as the throttle response.

Attachments

• 20240415_193707.jpg
    20240415_193707.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240415_193712.jpg
    20240415_193712.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 51
I'd find out where it's leaking. Should be an oily streak from the source. With that 2stroke oil mixed in it should be easy to see. From where it is puddling in the pics is it running down from the intake?..........in 1st pic magnified, on the left side of the lower jug gasket it looks discolored way more than the right side which is nice aluminum colored, maybe?

It’s a misconception that because it’s a 2 stroke engine it’ll naturally be all oily and greasy.

As soon a tracking oil is visible the correct thing to do is find out where it’s coming from and fix it.

I have at least a couple thousand miles on my current engine and it looks like the day I built it…clean.

My engine has sprung leaks from time to time but as soon as I see oil residue I clean it off, find the leak, and fix it.

If an engine has accumulated oil on it there’s a great chance it’s not tuned and running to its potential.

I do not like the slip fit, spring held headers. They tend to leak oil all over…as well as air.

Hey everyone, thanks for your responses. I tried to go the easy route and just tightened the screw that attaches the carb to the engine, and it actually still had quite a bit of travel, so I started screwing, but started to get concerned that I could be bending some of the metal. Does anyone have any recommendations for a clamp that I can use to secure it? I don't want to take off the carb and risk not being able to get it back on.

Also, I'm planning on tuning the carb(referencing this post), but I'm not sure what success actually looks like? For example, my bike runs now, but what are the signs that I'm tuning it correctly rather than, "yep, it turned on this time too"?

Keep searching for tuning a 2 stroke and reading. Between what you learn reading and time running your engine…it’ll come. It takes a lot of practice to really be proficient at tuning.
Change 1 thing at time between adjustments. Remember what you did, how it ran before, and how it runs after each adjustment.

In time, you’ll know how it’s supposed to sound and run when tuned correctly.

Hey everyone, thanks for your responses. I tried to go the easy route and just tightened the screw that attaches the carb to the engine, and it actually still had quite a bit of travel, so I started screwing, but started to get concerned that I could be bending some of the metal. Does anyone have any recommendations for a clamp that I can use to secure it? I don't want to take off the carb and risk not being able to get it back on.

Also, I'm planning on tuning the carb(referencing this post), but I'm not sure what success actually looks like? For example, my bike runs now, but what are the signs that I'm tuning it correctly rather than, "yep, it turned on this time too"?
The best way to tell is by spark plug color.

Attachments

• scan0001 (1).jpg
    scan0001 (1).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Spark plug color chart (1).jpg
    Spark plug color chart (1).jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 41
The best way to tell is by spark plug color.
Below is the spark plug that I had been using. It's the one that came with my kit. I did purchase a BR6HS Plug awhile back, but hadn't put it in the bike yet. From your pictures, it looks like it could be too Cold, or too rich? Would this mean that I'm running too much oil in the mixture, or am I misunderstanding the cold/rich/lean/etc designations? Also, if I'm working on tuning the carb, how should I go about cleaning the plug so I know what kind of effect I'm having with my configurations?

20240416_221212.jpg

Back