Question: How To Bend Metal - Need Tips/Advice On Bending A Custom Motor Mount Plate (1 minute Youtube video)

yuckfoo

Local time
1:26 AM
The title says it all. I need to make a custom plate for my extremely tight clearance build.

After searching a little on the web, It looks normally a press brake is used to make that.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1&safesearch=moderate&setlang=en&setmkt=en-US

I don't know if this will work, but maybe you can take your piece, put supports under the edges. Clamp it all down to table. Then hammer a pipe that has the same diameter onto the center where you want the bend. Heating it red hot with a torch makes bending easier if that doesn't work cold.
Screenshot_20210516-101610_Samsung Notes.jpg

I think for the amount of effort you are going to put into it and how good it comes out , I would buy one off the net already fab'bed out

If I were trying to pull that off , I would make a jig , think I would slice a piece of pipe the right size in half and tack weld it to a plate , then I would tack weld two blocks of steel to another plate , and squeeze it all together either in a press or a big vise , heat will most likely be needed with metal of that thickness

After searching a little on the web, It looks normally a press brake is used to make that.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1&safesearch=moderate&setlang=en&setmkt=en-US

I don't know if this will work, but maybe you can take your piece, put supports under the edges. Clamp it all down to table. Then hammer a pipe that has the same diameter onto the center where you want the bend. Heating it red hot with a torch makes bending easier if that doesn't work cold.
View attachment 105279
Thanks for the video link. After watching the video I realized I could accomplish this same thing by making a wooden mold and using a metal tube placed in a vice. At least in theory. Or would the wood break under the pressure? I still need to find the 12 gauge mild steel I need. So far I've only been able to find 2 foot by 3 foot pieces for $50-plus dollars. My finished piece will only be 2" x 3 5/8"

Last edited:
Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You might be able to use this. Its $10
View attachment 105281
Thanks! I bet it's too thick. But, I also bet that grinding and sanding this down to size is easier than making one myself. I just bought one. Thanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You might be able to use this. Its $10
View attachment 105281
This is another little tiny bracket and u-bolt. The u-bolt measures about 5.6 mm. I need something like this but for 8 mm mounting studs/bolts.

There's no point. The radius is extremely small. This is for a pocket bike or something. They advertise it as 80 cc... there's no way. My down tube is 1.75" in diameter. This thing is designed for a tube about 1 inch.

Back