Pop goes the weasel

73bennie

Local time
12:47 AM
So, I bought a 4-stroke motor from bberry last year and its been running great. But the last week or so it has become increasingly difficult to pull start. Used to start right up, maybe 2-3 pulls at most. Then it became, like, 20 pulls.

A little carb cleaner helped, and then I noticed the idle screw was vibrating itself back out. Threw on some teflon tape and that seemed to do the trick.

Today I was cleaning the bike and had taken the air filter off to clean and I took it around the block a couple times without the filter on to see if maybe the air filter was choking it up or something. During that ride, going wide open, on two seperate instances when I let off the throttle completely there were two pops, kinda like the sound of a backfire. So, I walked it back, put the filter back on, and went riding again. No problems, a mile or so into town, got some groceries, came home. No problems.

About a half hour ago I took the bike back out for a short run. Running fine, then I hit a bump, and at that very moment, I heard One loud Pop, and the bike died instantly.

Not only would it not start again, but pulling the rope and trying to get it to turn over sounded very different than usual, kinda "weak". And on a couple pulls, the rope kinda bound up or locked up, flying out of my hand. So, I can pull it, it just sounds different and won't turn over now.

It's dark so I'll look at it tomorrow, but looking for input/insight before I get into it. Thanks in advance

That rocker arm shaft is a simple floating pin design. The valve cover is what keeps it from coming out while it runs. As DieselTech stated, as long as it can't move up and down in the holes and just slides side to side it is fine.
Yeah I'm wondering now if it's a camshaft failure? Or just a maintenance failure from too loose of valve lash & the push rod popped out.

Ok the rocker arm cross shaft, slides in & out easy.

The cross shaft has NO up & down movement thou.

So to confirm, the valve cover holds that shaft in place.
Hey! Thanks for checking that out. So, I'm not seeing any movement up and down with the cross shaft. That seems like good news.

With all this put back together, seems to me like it might just be able to run again, no?

Hey! Thanks for checking that out. So, I'm not seeing any movement up and down with the cross shaft. That seems like good news.

With all this put back together, seems to me like it might just be able to run again, no?
I think you just had too much space on you valve lash. Was it ticking at all before?

Yeah I'm wondering now if it's a camshaft failure? Or just a maintenance failure from too loose of valve lash & the push rod popped out.
Maybe I should open her up more and check out the camshaft
I think you just had too much space on you valve lash. Was it ticking at all before?
Yeah, you know what? Now that you mention it, it would sometimes make this ticking kinda sound. I thought (with my limited exp) that it sounded to me like my valves were dry and I needed to change my oil or something, so that's what I'd do. Again, limited exp

You need to look up/research. Setting Valve Lash on Huausheng 142F.

Then after valves are adjusted you can try to start it. Of course after it's all put back together.

Then after valves are adjusted you can try to start it. Of course after it's all put back together.
Allright, that's what I'm gonna do next. Research, adjust, and (hopefully) restart. I'll keep you all posted. And can I just say thanks to all so far for the help and insight. What a great community:)

I would try adjusting valves b4 disassembling the engine any more. Then I would run it & if it runs good, then change engine oil.

Back