Mounting a Honda 50/110cc vertically

TEEDEE

Local time
1:12 AM
Hello everybody. I’m wondering if anyone has ever attempted mounting a Honda cub style motor with the cylinder facing up.

I realize that this isn’t a practical choice but I want to use the motor for a replica 1914 Harley-Davidson.

I know people mount the 4-stroke Harbor Freight motors vertically all the time and run them without issues, so it should be possible in theory.

Just wondering how much work would be involved. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 116
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have thought about that but the only issue is I want to keep it at 50cc to avoid legality problems.

I have seen that china has a 4 speed 50cc 4 stroke with a vertical cylinder but it looks like you can’t get one in America.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.png
    IMG_1101.png
    319.2 KB · Views: 82
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have thought about that but the only issue is I want to keep it at 50cc to avoid legality problems.

I have seen that china has a 4 speed 50cc 4 stroke with a vertical cylinder but it looks like you can’t get one in America.
Even the 50cc kits arent legal as they have a manual clutch. The only legal option is the 49cc 4 strokes with centrifugal clutches.

Of course there are vertical style four stroke engines but the original issue was a horizontal style one mounted vertically.
That seemed a little defensive, huh?

I always remember vertical from old tv's playing with the nob to get the picture steady, = up/down. Horizontal is across the plain. There, that's settled. You guys are messing with my brain!

I always remember vertical from old tv's playing with the nob to get the picture steady, = up/down. Horizontal is across the plain. There, that's settled. You guys are messing with my brain!
Too funny, you and I still remember this one from 1963, don't we...lol..."We will control the horizontal, We will control the verticle...We will control all you see and hear...lol...From the inner mind, to The Outer Limits"...lol.

Ps...I was 8 years old then and was always allowed to stay up to watch this show...lol.

After more research
Even the 50cc kits arent legal as they have a manual clutch. The only legal option is the 49cc 4 strokes with centrifugal clutches.
Where I live I don’t think there is a rule about having a manual clutch…I think just 50cc, 3hp and not going over 30mph. The last two don’t really matter because a cop can’t tell how many horsepower a bike has especially when I don’t even know. And the top speed doesn’t matter as long as I don’t go speeding around town.

Back