Kinda of dumb question

Copygod69

Local time
8:41 AM
They say the phantom 85 runs hot I have an aluminum heatsink from a computer if I sanded and fit it on the fins could I get it to run cooler? Or maybe I should say run better for longer periods of time when it’s hot out

They say the phantom 85 runs hot I have an aluminum heatsink from a computer if I sanded and fit it on the fins could I get it to run cooler? Or maybe I should say run better for longer periods of time when it’s hot out
You would be better off diamond cutting the cooling fins. It will increase your overall cooling surface & aid in better cooling.

The phantom is a naturally hot engine. As long as you stay rolling and don't make it idle for long, and don't go around at WOT everywhere you should be fine
They calm down and get better in the heat department once they are broken in which needs 300 miles or so to accomplish, following their breakin proceedure to the letter.

One suggestion. Running a colder plug, hear me out...

I run a BR6HS, I run a BR because I prefer resistor plugs, in addition my headlight build runs off of an independent system and non-resistor plugs were causing electrical interference. I ran a B7HS and then BR7HS. Colder plugs dissipate heat better, however it will affect your tune. My engine ran more rich with a #7 than it did #6.

The colder spark dissipated heat from the cylinder "better". There was a noticeable difference where the cylinder was more cool, and the head was more hot. However, with the P85 being a single cylinder (no removable head) I don't know if heat dissipation would be as efficient as it is a two-piece. There are other things you can do such as minimal idle time, these are air cooled engines that are cooled when they're in motion.

I'm curious on other peoples thoughts if running a colder plug would work in this scenario. I know it would work, but the efficiency part of it considering the P85 which is essentially an MS046/460 lacks cooling fins when comparison to other china dolls.

to run coole
They calm down and get better in the heat department once they are broken in which needs 300 miles or so to accomplish, following their breakin proceedure to the letter.
The heat sink won't be in enough contact with metal to do any good. The whole base has to be in contact.
I was just thinking about putting it on the underside of the exhaust port where there’s a flat part and also is it normal for the motor to have a lot of compression? I have having trouble getting it started and the carb is acting funky like it’ll cut out after 3/4 throttle and it’s backfired before work and won’t start up imma check out the reeds when I get home

I me
One suggestion. Running a colder plug, hear me out...

I run a BR6HS, I run a BR because I prefer resistor plugs, in addition my headlight build runs off of an independent system and non-resistor plugs were causing electrical interference. I ran a B7HS and then BR7HS. Colder plugs dissipate heat better, however it will affect your tune. My engine ran more rich with a #7 than it did #6.

The colder spark dissipated heat from the cylinder "better". There was a noticeable difference where the cylinder was more cool, and the head was more hot. However, with the P85 being a single cylinder (no removable head) I don't know if heat dissipation would be as efficient as it is a two-piece. There are other things you can do such as minimal idle time, these are air cooled engines that are cooled when they're in motion.

I'm curious on other peoples thoughts if running a colder plug would work in this scenario. I know it would work, but the efficiency part of it considering the P85 which is essentially an MS046/460 lacks cooling fins when comparison to other china dolls.
I am gonna try a smaller plug with less threads and make it run cooler and see if i can get it run better it just seems to shudder I think I need to make it slightly richer the bofang that came with the kit is acting really funky so I am using my old deltoro clone but that’s running 68 and I know the carb runs rich but the motor also needs more then the other motors I’ve run it’s just really finicky right now I am still in the process of trying to get it reliably running

I me

I am gonna try a smaller plug with less threads and make it run cooler and see if i can get it run better it just seems to shudder I think I need to make it slightly richer the bofang that came with the kit is acting really funky so I am using my old deltoro clone but that’s running 68 and I know the carb runs rich but the motor also needs more then the other motors I’ve run it’s just really finicky right now I am still in the process of trying to get it reliably running
Bpmr7a plug is what I run on my Phantom, and coincidentally the same plug an ms460 runs.

The plug heat range and how hot an engine runs is total folk lore. Plug heat range does not affect running temps and only has to do with how much heat the plug retains for self cleaning purposes. Don't want to believe me, ask the industry.

The Phantom is hot because it's a higher hp engine. It runs hot when pushed because it's from a forced air application. At cruising speeds, say 30mph, it will run at a happy temperature all day. Want to go full throttle everywhere and it will overheat, especially if it isn't fully broken in.

There are builders who have done a "chop top" to the top of the Phantom head and are running LD100 aftermarket heads to aid in cooling. This requires somebody that knows what they are doing, and the potential loss of money if they screw up.

If all you want to do is ride around at allowable road speeds, the Phantom is perfectly fine. If you want to be a speed demon, not so much.

Rumor has it the V4 is in the works and will be a 2 piece head and jug. Who knows when that will be released, however.

Back