Kill Switch Wiring

I have read a lot of post about which wires to hook your kill switch to. Some say connect it like your manual says to:

CDI Blue to Engine Blue
CDI Black to Engine Black
Kill switch Yellow/red to Engine White
Kill Switch Green to Ground

Some people say this:

Don't connect the kill button to the white wire! (It can sometimes short out the mag coil!)
Connect the kill wires to the blacks & blues, & cap off the white wire!!

I am not sure what is the correct way. I want to use a kill switch, but I don't want to damage either the cdi or mag. Can anyone shed some light on these 2 ways or other ways of hooking up a kill switch? Thanks for the help & suggestions

Pete
i forgot to mention that hooking up the white wire is known to burn out your magneto.
the ones they sell now don't even come with a white wire because so many backyard mechanics are frying the magneto. Yes some people have gotten away with using it but it's not worth it. CUT THAT THING OFF and wire your kill wires blue to blue and black to black. if i had a good clean pic of mine i would post it for you but i wrapped tape all around mine to keep the wiring from getting hung up and disconnected. you should have a jumper that splits the blue into two, connect to either one and connect the other to the mag. do the same with the black and that's it. if for some reason it doesn't start you wired it wrong to try it again you will get it. just DON"T use the white wire for anything, cut that thing off!

So, what if your kit comes with the wiring of the kill switch with one blue wire and one red wire? I might have put the red wire to the black and the black wire to the red.....Will that fry my kill switch?....Or no?....

On a 1999 WC-1 Whizzer had no fire tried new plug , coil/plug wire & CDI no go . then checked out the kill switch wiring coming from the rt. handle grip the G wire from the K/S & G/Y wire brake light were melted together , i unwrapped the harness down to where the melted wires started . maybe this is why it won`t start ?? should i just replace the burnt wires?

Attachments

• IMG_6969.JPG
    IMG_6969.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_6978.JPG
    IMG_6978.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_6972.JPG
    IMG_6972.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_6973.JPG
    IMG_6973.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_6970.JPG
    IMG_6970.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 405
They to had be that way when i got it , i have never had it started or had a battery in it , what would cause those 2 wires to fuse together like that ? maybe leaving the key & K/S on when it had a battery in it ? i think first i will replace the G/Y brake light wire and leave the K/S disconnected and see if i can get it to fire .

It is really laughable how complicated the issue of the Kill Switch has been made by people who are unaware of what is going on ! All this nonsense about wire color codes and such. Here is the deal : 1) the spark plug wire 2) electrical Ground...….then 3) CONNECT the 2 wires together....and BOOM the engine Stops. That's All. You short out the spark plug to ground and it's over. No need to go round and round arguing about wires. The ultimate Basic Electricity.

You can run the killswitch to the sparkplug, then no contraversy.:unsure:

That's how old lawnmowers do it, right? Grounded metal strap, push towards sparkplug, engine dies.:geek:
5-7HEAVEN You have said it ALL !!! All this haggling about Color-coded wires....red, green, white, this that and the other thing. You Ground Out the spark plug wire. Engine Dies. A rare voice in the midst of chaos.

Back