How to align up MS440 saw cylinder to 66cc bottom end?

There is a pin that keeps the rings from rotating in these 2 strokes. If the ends of the rings are in a port it will snag the port and destroy the top end. The pins can't be relocated to the exaust side because the aluminum will expand faster than the steel pins and cause the pin to come out. The pin will then destroy the top end.
I understand all of this, I'm saying, take the pin out and relocate it half way between the intake and exhaust ports. How can the pin come out assuming it gets loose in it's hole? One end of the pin rests in the bottom of the ring groove and the other end , after the piston is installed, will try to come out against the clynder wall. If you remove and polish the sharp edge on the pin it shouldn't scrape the wall. If you're worried about that, like I said, make the pin out of aluminum.

Sorry if I didn’t describe what I meant very well but I am just thinking why not center the piston and then use the piston to get the alignment
No no no, how you said it is what made sense to me. If you would of structured it any different, who knows if I would of had the coming to jesus moment I had

I understand all of this, I'm saying, take the pin out and relocate it half way between the intake and exhaust ports. How can the pin come out assuming it gets loose in it's hole? One end of the pin rests in the bottom of the ring groove and the other end , after the piston is installed, will try to come out against the clynder wall. If you remove and polish the sharp edge on the pin it shouldn't scrape the wall. If you're worried about that, like I said, make the pin out of aluminum.
I've never had the issue myself, but many others have had the pin com out and destroyed the engine.

Here's a thread by someone having the same issue. Might be worth the read.

You can't locate the pin there, that's an open transfer port and the ring will snag.

Similarly, if you make the intake port too wide, the ring gap will catch on the port.

Back