Hooray! Got the Press-fit Bearing Off Cleanly!!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
While installing your new friction drive housing, take time to SLIGHTLY ream the bearing holes with sandpaper. This changes the bearing fit from press fit to slip fit. Also, sand the shaft where it fits into the bearings. This savies the trip to the machinist or the oven and freezer. If you worry about the bearings falling out, simple homemade bearing retainers/tabs will prevent it.

While installing your new friction drive housing, take time to SLIGHTLY ream the bearing holes with sandpaper. This changes the bearing fit from press fit to slip fit. Also, sand the shaft where it fits into the bearings. This savies the trip to the machinist or the oven and freezer. If you worry about the bearings falling out, simple homemade bearing retainers/tabs will prevent it.
Would you by chance have a couple pics available? I'm having a hard time visualizing how you keep the slip fit bearings in place and how to keep the bearing outer piece from rolling within the housing itself.

Would you by chance have a couple pics available? I'm having a hard time visualizing how you keep the slip fit bearings in place and how to keep the bearing outer piece from rolling within the housing itself.
It's been over 10 years since I've morphed into midframe/shift kits. All my FD parts are gone. I do remember that Staton used bearings with circlips. I think I put the circlips on the outside of the housing, keeping the bearings from falling inward. Then I used a simple bearing retainer on the outside, to keep bearings from falling out. There's very little sideplay force, so a simple tab/bearing retainer keeps them in place.
The bearing's outer piece will spin in the housing only IF the inner race jams and fails. If you spin one in your hand, you'll know what I mean.

Last edited:
I got that, thanks but how do you keep the bearing "outer" from spinning inside the hole. If the mount hole in the housing it a bit too large then the bearing will spin within its mount hole.

When you ream the housing, you can control how tight the bearing fits. Staton housing is aluminum and cuts easily. Take your time. Make trial fits. When you get it right, you'll sleep easy and change or clean your bearings regularly.

Back