Honda Engine in a Basket For Stealth Friction Drive

Yeah, I tell you those little two smokes really do the job, they are really strong.

SteveM....why all the need for the "stealthy" stuff? Are MBs not allowed by law where you are or is this just a choice you made....Just curious.

SteveM where did you get that front basket at? Im interested in the mounting hardware, the lower mount especially.

First off, I love my Staton friction drive engine, but I love riding and the exercise it affords me more, so I run my engine only when necessary and that is at the end of a long day when I am really tired or going up a long climb (or a short steep one) and need assistance. When the engine is not on, I cover it with a black bag I bought at Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars. Frankly, I like your idea a whole lot better because it allows one to ride while still hiding the engine. As for our desire to hide the engine: simple pride. We've ridden all over the world self contained and it is a little difficult to get used to the fact that we need some help now. The friction drive allows us to ride as much as we can, then continue to our destination with assistance.

Question: did you ever get the muffler figured out?

PS -- My wife and I ride long distances -- across America and so forth -- but we're getting older and the riding is getting a little tougher, which is why we have the engine. We absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Too bad the use of a little motor on a bicycle is so restricted by law that the rider will feel like an outlaw and try to hide it from the police.

When I was living in Campbell county Virgina, the attitude of the local goverment was: Not over 50cc, ride safely and have fun. Like any other vehicle, bicycle to truck, if the rider or driver was being reckless then the police cracked down and righly so. This was 2008.

Here in California and sounds like in many other places, there are a lot of requirements that take the simple use out of motorized bicycles. Some of these quality road bikes with a rider in good shape will go as fast or at times faster than I do with a motorized bicycle. It is true, electric bikes are free from many of these requirments, but range limitations are too short for many users. 20 -25 mph limit, Gas or electric, what is wrong with that. A 16 year old in good condition with a quality road bike can do that, but if he runs a red light should get ticketed like anyone else. So, What about the not a 16 year old, but a hard working or retired adult trying to to avoid the high cost of transportation by auto, or heavy traffic jams on commute routes????

Motorized bicycles should be ENCOURAGE by state and local goverments, and not require a motorcycle license as an example. Sure, 16 years and older, required to obey established traffic laws (even pedestrians have them) and let the person ride his side of the road out of the traffic motorized bicycle. What is wrong with that.

Many of us have a motorcycle license as required in California, but I remenber as a kid back in the 40's using my bicycle on a paper route. There was a older fellow in his 20's or 30's who did not have ability to drive a car (mentally slow), but used a Whizzer motorized bicycle on his very large paper route. He did very well on his Whizzer and made enough on the paper route to be independent. It worked O.K. then and why not now. That was in Oakland California, 1947.

I painted the engine cover black to help it blend in and slipped a mouse pad in the side (which I later turned around sideways to better cover things up).

They make spraycan paint especially for plastic.

Take that white gas tank off of there, clean it up, sand it a bit, to give the plastic some 'tooth'.. Then paint it black.

The paint is available at Lowes.

An alternative is simply to cover the entire tank with black electrical tape.

The reason for the suggestions is that I am thinking that that mouse pad is holding the heat in, against the motor.

Looks like you are hauling a motor in the basket. What if you put another one on the other side to balance it out, plus you could carry stuff in it. Beyond trying to hide the motor, it ls a lot nicer than just the motor hanging out there.

Yeah, I agree. One one each side would be great. I'm working on an idea of twin baskets that incorporate a frame that will protect the engine if the bike falls over.

Back