Homemade studded snow tires.

DieselTech

Local time
1:58 AM
Do you guys & gals think a person could make a set a studded snow tires?

Hear me out. & I will try to explain!

If I took these 20x4 & added some pan head screws from the inside out & then put a Mr.Tuffy tire liner in with a heavy duty tube. Is it plausible? I cant see why not!

Heres a couple pics of the tires I got to sacrifice & the screws I would use. I plan on having the screws come thru the center of the tire knobby.

Let me hear the do & donts!!!
20231107_184236.jpg
Screenshot_20231107-183153_Chrome.jpg

Might the screw be pressed back thru the tire? They seem kinda long & pointy for this. But I have no experience.

Might the screw be pressed back thru the tire? They seem kinda long & pointy for this. But I have no experience.
Well if my figures are right, from the inside of the tire to the top of a tire knobby is 3/8". Them screws are 1/2" which should leave a 1/8" long snow stud. I can always hit the screw with a 4" grinder & flap disc if needed.

With the head of the screw on the inside of the tire with a tire liner, I dont see them pressing or poking back thru.

But I may be wrong.

Well if my figures are right, from the inside of the tire to the top of a tire knobby is 3/8". Them screws are 1/2" which should leave a 1/8" long snow stud. I can always hit the screw with a 4" grinder & flap disc if needed.

With the head of the screw on the inside of the tire with a tire liner, I dont see them pressing or poking back thru.

But I may be wrong.
That's true

Unless you're running extremely low pressures the fasteners should have no trouble saying tight against the tire. Say you inflate to 30 psi, the surface area will have 30 pounds of force for each square inch of the fastener, and the weight upon the tire will be spread out evenly among the contact patch
reducing how much force each individual fastener gets pushed by.

Back