Hand crank starter for 2 stroke?

Ive seen that before, but never actually seen someone use one. You could probally just make that by replacing the bolt that holds in the small bevel gear with an allen head one.
It's not super easy, the gear spins counterclockwise so turning with an impact would drive the bolt out... On another note I've used a corded drill and a 14mm socket to start the engine up from the magneto side and haven't actually stripped the nut or shaft even once, compression obviously has a part to do with it.

Also turns out any drill under 1.5 amps at 120v won't start an engine at least with the compression (about 125-130) I had in my experience just trying out different ones. Kc mentioned the bullet train starter took about 15 amps at 12v so also with about average compression I assume from stock much like what mine is. Overall we see just under 190 watts to start an engine without using the inertia of us moving to start the engine (bump starting.)

Humans max out at about half a horsepower from leg power, also the strongest group of muscles on the body. To start a motor we need about a quarter hp worth of energy pushing behind it, that's about the strength of one leg I'd figure. Unless you have a terminator-like physique churning a quarter horsepower out of one arm will be quite the physical workout..

As it was sort of implied earlier it's probably easier to pedal 10 feet and start the motor without going into cardiac arrest.

Nope, you just use an impact drill to start it direct to the crankshaft.

https://www.grubee.net/collections/gt5a-es-electric-start

I haven't tried it.

That's interesting. Might get that engine when my Zeda engine in my cruiser gives out or for another build. Seems like it would be way easier than both pedal starting & trying to hand crank start it. Also thanks for posting the link to the Grubee online store. Good to know that exists since genuine Grubee dealers are slowly vanishing from America.

I have a pullstart for my bike, and i tried it out once and it didn't seem to bad. Problem is when you got alot of compression you have to sit on the bike or hold it down because when you yank on the starter you just pickup the bike and it falls over. Anyway i only had it on for 10 minutes because i dont have wide cranks to go around it so i didn't ride it, just put it on and fired it up.

I don't ride much anymore, I am lucky to still be able to walk, but one of the big reasons I like 4-strokes is they are pull start.

Back