Gear shaft. .I'm not familiar with these engines..could someone tell me on the small gear shaft turning clutch .you can move it in n out bout 1/4 inch

Verlonmon

Local time
10:41 PM
On my engine the small gear shaft moves in n out about 1/4'' .but it runs great.can some one tell me is this normal please..thanks

No, that's not normal! Make sure that the gear is tight, better yet remove the screw and put some blue loctite on it, they are bad about loosening. If the shaft itself is moving, you've got bearing problems. They are an interference fit, when everything's tight there should be no lateral movement of the shaft.

On my engine the small gear shaft moves in n out about 1/4'' .but it runs great.can some one tell me is this normal please..thanks
My guess is your saying the small gear along with the shaft itself is moving in and out of the case. Not that the small gear is moving on a stationary shaft. So the rotor on the other side is also moving when you do this. Some engines don't get properly shimmed before the crank bearings are installed. This after time will allow the crank to move a little in and out of the case. I have seen this on many older engines, and though not desirable does not seem to affect their performance to any great extent. I have never seen 1/4" though. Maybe 1/8".

Last edited:
No, that's not normal! Make sure that the gear is tight, better yet remove the screw and put some blue loctite on it, they are bad about loosening. If the shaft itself is moving, you've got bearing problems. They are an interference fit, when everything's tight there should be no lateral movement of the shaft.
Cool thanks bunch

I'm sry purple Haze..I meant the shaft that the magneto turns on . Not clutch..my bad

Back