Friction Drive that works in wet weather?

a torque converter INCREASES torque. it doesnt just slip...

i thought this was a kid with no access to shop tools?

sticking the spindele straight off the shaft may be great for a temporary setup that doesnt see much use, but then you flog out the crank bearing, snap the crankshaft, and if the spindle is just a tapped piece of bar driven by the thread on the crank...it strips. or undoes itself. then the flywheel comes off.

to do a decent friction drive does require a bit more effort than just strapping an engine to a pushie.

my first one held up for about 3 years, the maiden ride was approx 250 km, with no issues. except the alloy roller i used whilst waiting for the star washers to arrive completely wore out.

then "someone" started using kero, plain engine oil, sometimes model plane fuel...whatever he could find at the time. it didnt last long after that! :D

i found using slicks/road tyres was far better than knobbies. the knobs just tended to rip straight off, exposing the nylon cords underneath. then POP!

them big fat diamond pattern cruiser tyres were the best of all!virtually flat on top with almost no curve to them.
good input

correct, as described, that needs doing in a shop from a template of the engine housing. A drill and oxy isnt a big ask. Many trades use them. I think i could avoid that, but it would take some trial and error to be sure.

perhaps torque converter isnt the right term. Slippage is the same as slipping a clutch, which can compensate for lack of engine torque - keeps the motors revs up.

re "
to do a decent friction drive does require a bit more effort than just strapping an engine to a pushie", well, as discussed, my experience is that you pretty much can. Just saying, it sure worked well as my reliable, sole transport when i was dead broke - which explains the tire thing, chinese $5 rear tires worked ok for me. Maybe 2 tires pa, gripped ok, 100km pw.

I can only say the spindle as described got a thrashing from me and a previous owner, and the motors bearing held up fine.

ha ha, chinese tyres are different kettles of fish. el kmarts always did fine... whereas the set of racing knobs someone gave me...real expensive suckers... shredded.

i live in the hills district. my first ride was to newcastle and back. mooney mooney bridge was the most scary thing i have ever done! averaged about 55-60km/h

yes, you can strap em on... but i used to jump mine, having it stuck on the back of a bmx as a 16 yr old. i found out quickly how easily "strong looking" setups tended to bend and fall off. to the point that i had a pivot behind the seat brazed to the frame, a piece of machined square tube running two flange bearings to take the spindle, the engine basically just bolted on, the spindle being driven by a cush drive, using the two clutch bolts to engage with two holes in the end of the spindle. very easy to work on. just undo engine bolts and it came off. spindle just poked through the bearings, nut on the end clamped the star washers in place, took about ten minutes to swap them over.

it took a few tries to perfect the design!
maybe when i was twenty or so... i used to be in tears coming up galston gorge with even the slightest trace of moisture on the road.

turnbuckles on either side to the rear axle, with a pivot, linkages etc so i could lock it off, lock it on, and slip the wheel as necessary, which wasnt too often, but try as hard as i could... i could never get it to stick in the wet. the slightest trace of moisture up a 5 km hill, like galston gorge, had me cursing, swearing and crying all at the same time.

or you had the pressure wound on so hard the tyre deformed and the engine was virtually stalling.

with a 13/16 OD roller!

still, other than that... definitely the best FD ever had. no other engine after i blew that one ever seemed to go as hard. shame really :( husqvarna brushcutters are the best engines for sure!

the last one i ever made did what i first mentioned... a hacked up scooter using some minor redux gears, that was definitely water proof! but i chose to use a 10 speed racer with inevitable results...i think my mother ended up throwing it out one day... at least, i havent seen it in ten years or so...

electric being (almost) the only option allowed here now, i have to agree...its ideal for just puttering along. though i walk (run) the dog by using the pitbike!

YOOO!! I live in the south of Chile and there is a lot of rain here, I want to buy a Friction Drive kit for my trek but because of the rain I was doubting but I had a great idea, havent tested yet but I think is perfect. Solution: Hidrophobic sprays coating for the tires, NEVERWET or other products they cost 20 dolars!!!! the tires will repell the water and mud so the fricion woulilnt be affected and you can aplly the same product to the friction wheel. tell me if you try it!! greetings!

Back