Dynamo powered accesseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anime2019Master

Local time
2:29 AM
So id like to attach lighting and probably signal lights. But i dont want to fool with batteries and havig to change them. I was thinking about a bike dynamo that charges a battery, that in turn powers lighting. Something like this

Has aanyone ever tried this? I know using power from the engine itself is a lost cause, but i never hear anyone talk about these. Havent used one since my grandfathers bike, lol, so im curious if anyone has done this. Logically the speed the bike is going should be more than enough to get juice from the dynamo, and a battery would ensure the lighting remains on when stopped.

Lastly, if anyone has tried this, how would i prevent the battery from being over charged?

Best i was able to come up with is this very redneck soultion. Turn on connection between battery and dynamo to charge it, turn off connection when battery is charged. Dynamo would still produce energy of course, it just wouldnt go anywhere. This would be combined with a battery indicator, so i know when it need to be charged, (or stop charging). Something like this.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So id like to attach lighting and probably signal lights. But i dont want to fool with batteries and havig to change them. I was thinking about a bike dynamo that charges a battery, that in turn powers lighting.

Thoughts?

You will need to convert AC to DC to charge a battery.
I have never tried to charge a 6vdc or 12vdc battery off of a 6v 3w dynamo.
I don't think 6vac 3w would be enough power to charge a battery big enough to power lights
6vac 3w would be only enough power to charge a cell phone battery with the use of a 6vac to 5vdc regulator

To have lights on your bike your best bet is to use rechargeable Lion batteries.
Or just run a 6v head light and tail light off the hub dynamo and skip the battery Idea.

A moped or scooter uses a 12vdc 1.5ah battery or bigger to operate the head light, tail light, turn signals and a horn and charges that through a 65w or 85w stator that makes 20vac to 60vac depending on the RPMs The AC voltage goes through a Voltage regulator/rectifier that charges the battery @ 1.5vdc making 13.5 to 14.5vdc to operate all the accessories

The hub i posted was just the first one i came across, not nesessarily the one i would buy. But thanks for the info on mopeds, thatll help greatly in finding the right voltage. I am concerned about attaching a light directly, being that if the example hub will get 6v, thats assuming bicycle speeds, not 40+. At those speeds i figure i would juat blow any bulb i attached, which is why i was playing with the battery idea.

Ya need a 6vac regulator, any extra voltage is dumped to the ground and your light bulbs wont blow
And that would solve the need for a battery i think. Wont have lights if stopped, but it doesnt take fast movement to light a bulb, so this would work. Think i will order one and see how it works out.

And that would solve the need for a battery i think. Wont have lights if stopped, but it doesnt take fast movement to light a bulb, so this would work. Think i will order one and see how it works out.

Don't know if this will help but it looks like what your thinking of.

Last edited:
I think that allows ya only to charge the battery and not use it at the same time

I think that allows ya only to charge the battery and not use it at the same time

that is why i mentioned a switch, you use it to charge battery, flip the switch and boom in use mode from battery

edit: but if it won't work then yeah

Most batteries can't be charged and used at the same time, damages them. You can make a rectifier out of leds and they will light up as you ride, flashing back and forth between 2 pairs of leds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back