Chain drive vs belt drive

mirman

Local time
4:29 PM
Is the belt drive better than a chain drive? I've been looking at it and would like to try it.

Is the belt drive better than a chain drive? I've been looking at it and would like to try it.
Depends on what you define as "better"

Belt drives are lower maintenance and much quieter and smoother than chains.

Belt drives also require a lot of tension to function without slipping. Even if you somehow manage to get enough tension on it to not slip, there will be so much load on the wheel bearings that they will require more attention and likely fail much more quickly.

I'm going to make the assumption your vague question is about the 4-stroke chain-drive VS belt-drive reduction transmissions. If you get the best belt-drive (Gru🐝Bee 4G) and compare it to the best chain-drive (Bike Barry duel chain) the 4G is far superior.

I'm going to make the assumption your vague question is about the 4-stroke chain-drive VS belt-drive reduction transmissions. If you get the best belt-drive (Gru🐝Bee 4G) and compare it to the best chain-drive (Bike Barry duel chain) the 4G is far superior.
That is a good point. What motor? They make belt drives for the 2 strokes too

Depends on what you define as "better"

Belt drives are lower maintenance and much quieter and smoother than chains.

Belt drives also require a lot of tension to function without slipping. Even if you somehow manage to get enough tension on it to not slip, there will be so much load on the wheel bearings that they will require more attention and likely fail much more quickly.
That's a no for me on the belt drive. Already had wheel bearings go bad. Don't want that again.

Are you looking at this one?

UAUS Belt Drive Driving Sprocket Assembly For 66cc 80cc 2 Stroke Motorized Bike Gas Motor Bicycle https://a.co/d/j6ZEUvn

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I was looking at belt drive but I don't want to run it with a big load on the wheel bearings
Big IFs here. If you want to run it without all of the tension required, you will need to engage as much of both cogs as physically possible. That means running a static idler as well as an adjustable one that is capable of wrapping that belt around at least 270 degrees of full contact with the pulleys.

If you do that, it MIGHT not slip the teeth. It would still need a decent amount.of tension.

A belt drive.that wouldn't slip as easily with less tension needs to have bigger teeth. 5mm at least. Even then, they could probably still skip teeth without some measure of tension.

Big IFs here. If you want to run it without all of the tension required, you will need to engage as much of both cogs as physically possible. That means running a static idler as well as an adjustable one that is capable of wrapping that belt around at least 270 degrees of full contact with the pulleys.

If you do that, it MIGHT not slip the teeth. It would still need a decent amount.of tension.

A belt drive.that wouldn't slip as easily with less tension needs to have bigger teeth. 5mm at least. Even then, they could probably still skip teeth without some measure of tension.
Thanks for the info. I will stick with the chain drive

Belt drive bikes have crazy teeth on the cogs.( are they sheaves or sprockets on positive drive belts?

Back